Reports To: Manager, High Performance.
The Assistant Coach, Women’s Senior 7s Team, has a primary role to support the Head Coach, Women’s Senior 7s Team in selecting and coaching the Women’s 7s Squad and Team for success on the World Stage (World Cup, Olympics, World Rugby World Series, etc.). The position will have a strong focus on talent identification and development which includes women’s 7s and XVs national team players in residence at the OTC. The Assistant Coach will be responsible for leading talent identification and development for the National Women’s 7s Team.
- Support Head coach in selecting the 7s squad and playing team, and in establishing a team vision that fits the goals of USA Rugby.
- As directed, coach the team, on and off the field, to a standard of excellence with the objective to demonstrate a significant improvement over each annual period of centralization.
- Commitment to all aspects of high performance player development and talent identification for Women’s National Team consideration, in both 7s and XVs.
- Focus on the progression of identified players across the national player pathway, from club, school, and/or university participation into the national programs.
- Assist the Head Coach to identify players in contention for selection to the 7s Team through utilization of the national pathway and effective communication with Regional Development Academies, top club/collegiate teams, and National Tracking Camp partners.
- Maintain discretion and confidentiality regarding player selection consideration, including discussions with players about their performance and not making any promises or guarantees about selection to any player.
- Conduct in-depth analysis of individual players, the team and the opposition.
- Assist the Head Coach to develop appropriate game plans, and to review individual and team performance against those plans.
- Remain current with modern game development including game law changes and competition rules.
- Provide technical and tactical coaching to individual players, sub-units and the team as a whole, as appropriate and or as assigned.
- Use and facilitate the use of technical specialist coaches where required.
- Develop well-structured training sessions that provide team progressions as relevant to assigned areas of responsibility.
- Analyze team training and player performance levels and progress against program/session goals using a variety of methods including statistical and video based analysis of the team and individual players.
- Participate in USA Rugby talent identification clinics and/or camps as assigned by Associate Performance Director and/or Head Coach.
- Optimize any talent identification process to also identify players in contention for selection to other national teams, as well as cross-over athletes, and to ensure that any such players are identified to the Head Coach of the respective team(s).
- Encourage the development of player’s leadership and self-reliance qualities.
- Assist the Head Coach to complete and submit an in-depth end of campaign report to the High Performance Manager covering all key aspects of the season,
- Other tasks and duties as assigned.
- Strong oral and written communications skills.
- Knowledge and/or experience of national/international rugby.
- Understanding of long-term athlete development; rugby skill development; squad/team selection and preparation; and talent identification.
- Demonstrate effective interpersonal communication and the ability to address difficult problems and decisions appropriately.
- Computer literacy: internet/social media, word processing, database.
- Experience in a High Performance Environment.
- Ability to work independently without supervision but in accordance with documented policy and procedure guidelines.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends, as the work schedule dictates.
- Strong people management and leadership skills and attributes..
- Demonstrate personal credibility, honesty and integrity.
- Ability to handle pressure and stress appropriately.