Job Summary: The women’s head coach is responsible for the success of the women’s 15s program. He/she will coordinate with the volunteer assistant coaches and team leadership to ensure a successful season both on and off the field. The coach must be able to pass on their rugby knowledge and exhibit their passion for the game.
The Team: We are a nationally ranked Division I team that went undefeated in the Fall of 2016 season and finished top 11 in the country for the 2016-17 year. We are currently ranked #1 in the Empire GU and hold the top seed in the Northeast. The squad is made up of players with experience ranging from one season to 10+ years. Our goals for the 2017-18 year are to have a winning fall season, elevate our performances to a higher level of play, and advance further into the national championship this season.
Compensation: Seasonal stipend dependent on experience ($1500-$2000 range)
- Two practices a week (Tuesdays and Thursdays). Times are TBD.
- Saturday game days both at our home field and away games.
- At least a one year commitment, with the fall season ranging from mid-August to mid-November and the spring running from March-May/June (Playoff dependent)
- Playoffs may require whole weekends away.
- Any team meetings
- 200 Level USA Rugby Certified
- 1-3 years minimum coaching experience preferred
- Rugby knowledge and familiarity with all 15 positions
- Interest in developing all levels of players
- Intends to maintain an appropriate and constructive relationship with all players.
Responsibilities and Qualities
- Ability to plan and execute intentional, effective, and highly structured practice plans that follow a full-season
- Ability to hone in on player’s specific talents and continually develop them.
- Creative thinking surrounding game strategy and lineup selection.
- Ability to develop new/young players while giving them a chance to progress and learn.
- Utilize assistant coaches to help run practices and heighten individual back and forward specific skills and techniques.
- Has leadership qualities that can command the respect of players while being approachable and open-minded.
- Is loyal to the women’s program and has a strong belief in driving success of the female athlete.
- Ability to provide clear and constructive feedback to assistant coaches and individual players.
Qualified candidates will be invited for an interview with a selection committee.