The Berkeley All Blues Women’s Rugby Club is currently seeking a Head Coach for our Women’s Premier League (WPL) season beginning August through WPL Nationals in mid-November 2019. The ideal candidate is committed to working with elite, senior-level female athletes to build and maintain a championship-level team.
Founded in 1978, the Berkeley All Blues Women’s Rugby Club is one of the country’s top women’s rugby teams. The Club has won a combined total of 15 National Championships in both 15s and 7s rugby. In 2017 and 2018, the Club placed 5th out of 10 teams at the Women’s Premier League National Tournament. The All Blues team consists of approximately 40 women dedicated to the Club and rugby. The Club welcomes athletes of all levels; current players range from elite to novice in experience. The Club currently participates in a competitive WPL season, a competitive and developmental 7s season, and a developmental Division II season. Several players regularly compete on the Women’s National Team. The emphasis of the fall season is to compete at the highest level in the Women’s Premier League with the aim to secure another National Championship.
- Representing and protecting the Berkeley All Blues values, culture, and reputation at all times as determined and communicated by the Club’s Executive Board.
- Evaluation of all members of the Team and determination of rosters for both a competitive Women’s Premiership League team (“WPL-Side”) and a developmental team (“B-Side”).
- Attending all home and away matches for WPL and B-Side, and Nationals (mid-November).
- Organization and running of all official practices for both WPL-Side and B-Side teams.
- Development and refinement of game strategies for all league and non-league matches for both WPL-Side and B-Side teams.
- Coordination and communication with Team-selected captains for both WPL-Side and B-Side teams.
- Making long-term decisions with the teams best interests in mind including preserving eligibility if necessary for development players.
- Providing effective feedback to individuals and the team for maximal player and team performance and development.
- Assistance with selection and mentorship of assistant coaching staff.
- Assistance upholding and enforcing Club policies set by the Club’s Executive Board.
Practices are held twice weekly on Tuesday and Thursday evenings in Berkeley, California. We aim to field both WPL-Side and B-side squads for all matches, as numbers allow. Match schedule for the fall is not yet available. There will be approximately four away and four home matches this fall in addition to the National Championship in a to-be-determined location.
Qualifications and Additional Information
Previous playing and coaching experience is required; specific experience coaching women is preferred but not necessary. The Berkeley All Blues require the completion and maintenance of a 200 Level Coaching certification or a comparable level of coaching certification. Compensation is negotiable and commensurate with experience. This is not a full-time position. Unfortunately, the Club is unable to provide visa assistance. Travel expenses to away matches will be paid by the Club.
Please submit a coaching resume as well as a brief statement of coaching philosophy to email@example.com. We strongly encourage coaches to apply by Friday, March 1, 2019 as applications will be considered on a rolling basis. For additional information about the Berkeley All Blues Women’s Rugby Club, please explore our website, facebook, and instagram.