Chicago Women’s Rugby Club is in search of a head coach to lead the Division 1 team in competition across the Midwest. The club is seeking a coach for fall and spring seasons, beginning August 2019 through May 2020.
The ideal candidate for this part-time position has the leadership skills and strategic knowledge to help Chicago Women’s Rugby continue to grow and develop as one of the Midwest’s top D1 women’s rugby clubs, building towards winning the Midwest Championships and maintaining a competitive presence in the nationwide Division 1 field.
About the Club
The Chicago Women’s Rugby Club was founded in 1976, and in 1978 the club organized and hosted the first Women’s Rugby National Championship in the United States. The team has been a pillar of the Chicago women rugby community since then. The current roster consists of approximately 20 dedicated athletes with experience ranging from first-time players to past, present, and aspiring Thunderbirds (Midwest Select side team). Players regularly participate in select-side camps and competitions to expand their experience and level of play. Our team also highly values the social part of rugby and team events are often organized to further the cohesion of the team. For more information about the club visit our website, Facebook, and
The 2019 fall season will run August through October. Practices will be held twice weekly, Tuesday and Thursdays. A draft schedule for the season outlines four home games and four away games. Spring season begins with indoor practice in February and focuses on the development of the team with several friendly matches from March through May.
- Develop an overall strategy of play
- Develop an overall plan for each season, specific weekly training plans, and strategy for game days to maximize field time, skills, and performance
- Elevate subunit strategy and understanding in pursuit of executing the overall team strategy
- Cultivate players to perform as individuals and cohesive team units
- Provide feedback to help the team and individuals learn and grow
- Plan and lead practices, Tuesdays and Thursdays 7-9 pm
- Collaborate with captains to select game-day rosters
- Attend all matches
- Level 200 or above coaching certification
- Travel with the team to away league matches and tournaments
- Commitment to 2019 fall and 2020 spring seasons
- Previous experience coaching and/or playing rugby including 15’s
- 3 years of coaching experience preferred
- Experience coaching women preferred
- Interest in long-term position preferred
- Reimbursement of travel expenses
- Stipend per season, commensurate to experience
- Funding for coaching development
Qualified candidates should submit their coaching resume and a statement on their coaching philosophy to email@example.com. Interested applications are strongly encouraged to submit their information by July 15th, 2019.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.