The Berkeley All Blues Women’s Rugby Club is currently seeking an Assistant Forwards Coach for our Women’s Premier League (WPL) season beginning with preseason in late July through WPL Nationals in mid-November 2020. Backs specific coaches will also be considered, but preference will be to coaches with a background working with forwards. The ideal candidate is committed to working with elite, senior-level female athletes to build and maintain a championship-level team.
Founded in 1978, the Berkeley All Blues Women’s Rugby Club is one of the country’s top women’s rugby teams. The Club has won a combined total of 15 National Championships in both 15s and 7s rugby. In 2019 the Club placed 6th out of 10 teams at the Women’s Premier League National Tournament. The All Blues team consists of approximately 40 women dedicated to the Club and rugby. The Club welcomes athletes of all levels; current players range from elite to novice in experience. The Club currently participates in a competitive WPL season, a competitive and developmental 7s season, and a competitive and developmental Division II season. Several players regularly compete on the Women’s National Team. The emphasis of the fall season is to compete at the highest level in the Women’s Premier League with the aim to secure another National Championship.
- Assist the head coach with the development of team and sub-unit strategies
- Assist with the organization and running of official practices. Attend both Tuesday and Thursday practices every week.
- Attend all local league matches and tournaments; attend the National Championship Tournament
- Provide effective feedback to all individual team members
- Collaborate with the head coach to agree on and execute a set piece plan and structure
- Provide effective feedback to the team as a whole
- Evaluate elite and developmental athletes and assist in determining rosters for matches, providing input to the head coach.
- Assist with game film analysis to evaluate both team and individual areas for improvement, ideally through weekly email analyses or film sessions
- Support the Executive Board, and assist in upholding Team Policies set by the Executive Board
- Treat all members of the All Blues community with respect, including, but not limited to current and former team members, fans, and members of the coaching staff.
Practices are held twice weekly on Tuesday and Thursday evenings in Berkeley, California. We aim to field both WPL-Side and B-side squads for all matches, as numbers allow. Match schedule for the fall is being finalized and will be released in the near future. There will be approximately four away and four home matches this fall in addition to the National Championship in a to-be-determined location.
Qualifications and Additional Information
Previous playing and coaching experience is required; specific experience coaching women is preferred but not necessary. The Berkeley All Blues require the completion and maintenance of a 200 Level Coaching certification or a comparable level of coaching certification. Compensation is negotiable and commensurate with experience. This is not a full-time position. Unfortunately, the Club is unable to provide visa assistance. Travel expenses to away matches will be paid by the Club.
Please submit a coaching resume as well as a brief statement of coaching philosophy to email@example.com. We strongly encourage coaches to apply by Friday, April 3, 2020 as applications will be considered on a rolling basis. For additional information about the Berkeley All Blues Women’s Rugby Club, please explore our website, Facebook, and Instagram.