Under the Posts – Sep 28-Oct 4 begins with Spain ending their Six Nations training camp due to positive COVID tests, a U20 side is launched in Ireland, but not by the IRFU, updates on all the top competitions, 4 player features and 6 media.
Weekly Women’s Rugby News
- European Qualifiers are just around the corner but Spain has ended their assembly due to 2 cases of coronavirus
- Rugby Academy Ireland has launched their first U20 rugby team and it’s led by Fiona Hayes, Alison Miller and Jenny Murphy
- Brazil is in Portugal in camp and will face Portugal and potentially Spain
- French’s Women’s Amateur Rugby Union Championship is in it’s 4th round but has had some matches cancelled due to coronavirus
- The IRFU Energia Community Series had their opening weekend with wins from UL Bohemians, Railway Union, Blackrock College, Cooke and Kerry. They are also seeing cancellations and adjustments due to the coronavirus
- The Dr Farrah Palmer Cup has two weekends left of league play…who will make it to the semi-finals?
- Belgium has started their local competitions with over 40 teams in participation through various divisions
- Rugby Canada has also made cuts to their from their main office as they work to endure the pandemic
- On the flip side, Rugby Canada’s Maple Leaf Academy is touting their work towards gender equity
- Scrumqueens and Lydia Furse dive into the World Rugby Museum and their women’s rugby heritage
- The Sports Writers Association of Ghana (SWAG) have named 17-year-old Anita Halm and Ghana Eagles captain Alex Dorpenyo as the best rugby male and female players for 2019
Women’s Rugby Player Features
- England’s Danielle Waterman speaks with Rugby Pass about the small salary cap in Premier 15s
- New Zealand’s Kendra Cocksedge talks about her uncertainty during lockdown and how she’s prepping for the 2021 Rugby World Cup
- England’s Maggie Alphonsi is highlighted ahead of Black History Month
- Ireland’s Fiona Steed talks with RTE about if Ireland will ever go professional
Women’s Rugby Media/Podcasts/Videos
- Asia Rugby highlights “My Daughter Plays Rugby”
- USA’s Rob Cain talks with DNVR Rugby about the women in camp
- The Women’s Rugby Show chats with England’s Rachel Burford about Girls Rugby Club and the start of Premier 15s
- USA’s Alev Kelter talks with The Rugby Player about the Olympics, coffee, surfing and rugby
- England’s Amber Reed is on the My Sporting Mind
- USA’s Mel Denham is featured on Impact Free Jack
Just a few days after the first tweet about Spain, they’ve sent all players home after two asymptomatic players popped positive for COVID-19. After the players finish quarantining, they will assemble again ahead of their October 24 match against Russia in the European Championship.
Rugby Academy Ireland [RAI] has launched the first-ever national women’s U20 team. Three former international stars in Fiona Hayes, Alison Miller and Jenny Murphy make up the coaching team, all having won at least one Six Nations title and played at a World Cup.
Brazil has traveled to Portugal to for a training camp until October 30. While there, they are scheduled to face Portugal on October 24 and on October 27 an 28 they will face Spain (this match is now in limbo).
French’s Women’s Amateur Rugby Union Championship is in it’s 4th Round. In Pool 1, Montpellier is on top with 20 points, Pool 2 sees Stade Rennais with 15 points, Pool 3 has Blagnac also with 15 points and finally in Pool 4, ASM Romagnat sits with 14 points.
France has had a few matches that haven’t been played due to the pandemic.
The IRFU Energia Community Series opened with wins from UL Bohemians, Railway Union, Blackrock College, Cooke and Kerry. Three matches were canceled due to COVID-19 concerns.
ICYMI | @WaikatoRugby & @AucklandRugby have created a split at the top of the North Pool, Auckland leading on 21 points but Waikato, with a game in hand, on 18 points, while in the South Pool, @ManawatuRugby have jumped into second.— Black Ferns (@BlackFerns) October 4, 2020
WEEK 5 WRAP ➡️ https://t.co/0XFH3wASTz pic.twitter.com/9QVDRoiVlh
The Dr Farrah Palmer Cup is tightening up as we’re their just two weeks out of the semi-finals. Auckland has the top spot in the North but will see second place Waikato on October 18. In the South, Canterbury is leading the way and we don’t see them being unseated.
Domestic women's rugby returned in Belgium today. The Netherlands is due to start next weekend. https://t.co/egM8H2t6JW— Scrumqueens - Women’s Rugby (@ScrumQueens) October 3, 2020
Belgium has started their local competitions with over 40 teams in participation through various divisions.
Rugby Canada joins the majority of Unions in cutting back due to the pandemic.
Rugby Canada’s Coordinator Women’s High Performance, Kristy Martin Hale is highlighting their efforts to bring gender equality to rugby.
Scrumqueens and Lydia Furse take a look inside the World Rugby Museum at Twickenham to see what they have on Women’s Rugby Heritage.
17-year-old Anita Halm and Ghana Eagles captain Alex Dorpenyo have both been named by the Sports Writers Association of Ghana (SWAG) as the best rugby male and female players for 2019.
Rugby Built Discipline - Allow your children to explore the joy of being different in women sports.#AsiaRugbyLive #season2 #episode3 #Unstoppable #WomenInrugby @adamilby @QaisUAE @KSadleir @dominicrumbles @PhilippineRugby @ScrumQueens pic.twitter.com/ivzCFf6hZG— Asia Rugby (@asiarugby) October 3, 2020
Yes @RachaelBurf12! Just YES! ✊@BexChaplin sat down with the Red Rose legend to chat about the launch of her new initiative - the @Girls_RugbyClub - & eagerly look ahead to the start of the @premier15s— TheWomensRugbyShow (@WomensRugbyShow) October 3, 2020
Watch it all NOW on our YT channel - https://t.co/99PKymC29v pic.twitter.com/Z09xldk8jD
‼️NEW EP IS LIVE‼️@kelteralev is a key member of the @USARugby Women’s Sevens program! Her resume in the sport is second to none and her pathway is so interesting! Olympics, coffee, surfing and rugby! We cover it all!— therugbyplayer (@therugbyplayer_) September 30, 2020
Link HERE> https://t.co/2spM9kUQtB pic.twitter.com/KNrzsMBBNt