Welcome to the top women’s rugby news for Aug 16-22! We start with South Africa defeating Kenya 29-22 taking the series 2-0, Scion won the Emil Signes Cup at the USA Rugby National Club 7s and England, USA, Canada, France and New Zealand announced fall tests. If these matches happen, it would be many of the sides first matches since the pandemic began.
In more XVs news, the Bunnings Dr Farah Palmer Cup has cancelled matches due to worsening COVID conditions in New Zealand and Ireland’s Vodafone Interprovincial Championship are set to begin August 28 with all matches televised locally!
In 7s news, Rugby Americas North announced the 2022 RAN Super Sevens from February 11–13 in Mexico City, Scrum Queens interviewed David Courteix, France’s head coach about their silver medal at Tokyo, World Rugby shared how Fiji battled to the bronze, and Premier Rugby Sevens announced locations and crowd sourced team names.
We wrap up the week with 17 features and 6 media.
We need you! Become a supporter of our site at https://www.patreon.com/yscrugby.
tl;dr: Under the Posts – Women’s Rugby News for Aug 16-22 sees South Africa completing a double win over Kenya, Scion won the USA Rugby National Club 7s and England, USA, Canada, France and New Zealand announce fall tests.
Top Women’s Rugby News
- South Africa defeated Kenya 29-22 and secured a 2-0 win in the series
- A slew of Fall Tests were announced while New Zealand canceled their two O’Reilly Cup Tests against the Wallaroos due to worsening COVID conditions:
- Weekend of October 30 TBC – Black Ferns v England
- November 1 – USA v Canada
- November 5 – USA v Canada
- November 6 – France v South Africa
- Weekend of November 6 TBC – Black Ferns v England
- November 13 – Black Ferns v France and England v Canada
- November 20 – Black Ferns v France
- November 21 – Wales v Canada and England v USA
- Canterbury continues to lead the Premiership in the Dr Farah Palmer Cup and Manawatu is also on top in the Championship
- Play was canceled this week due to New Zealand re-entering lockdown due to COVID
- Vodafone Interprovincial Championships will begin August 28 and all matches will be televised
- Scrum Queens interviewed David Courteix, Frances 7s head coach about their preparation for the Olympics and their silver medal at Tokyo
- World Rugby features Fiji and their quest for a medal
- Scion wins the Emil Signes Cup at USA Rugby National Club 7s
- Premier Rugby Sevens announces team names and logos
- Rugby Americas North (RAN) announced the 2022 RAN Super Sevens from February 11–13 in Mexico City
Women’s Rugby Features
- Katie Sadleir, General Manager of Women’s Rugby, will leave World Rugby to join the Commonwealth Games Federation as Chief Executive Officer
- South Africa’s Lusanda Dumke shares how the close call against Kenya was just that
- USA’s Naya Tapper is featured by her alma mater, the University of North Carolina
- Rugby Africa announced an online sports management training for their members
- Fiji’s Kuini Vuli is passing on her knowledge to the next generation of officials
- Zimbabwe’s Lindiwe Munerenyu dreams about qualifying for a major international tournament and to grow women’s participation
- France begins their preparation for the 2021 Rugby World Cup with a camp in Marcoussis
- New Zealand’s Portia Woodman still can’t believe she’s won a Gold medal
- Wales’ Rebecca Rowe has joined Antarctic Fire Angels along with four other firefighters from South Wales Fire and Rescue and London Fire Brigade to ski coast-to-coast across Antarctica in November 2023
- New Zealand’s Michaela Blyde describes the “relief” of scaling Olympic summit
- Canada’s Jackie Tittley discusses Canada’s Women’s Rugby Leadership Scholarship program
- England’s Shaunagh Brown has called on the Welsh Rugby Union and other Six Nations participants to “pull their socks up” when it comes to funding their women’s teams
- Ireland’s Adam Griggs shares the environment around their recent training camps
- New Zealand’s Les Elder tells of her transition from mom back to Black Fern
- South Africa’s Aimee Barrett-Theron is featured by Ruck UK in their “Get to Know the Ref” piece
Women’s Rugby Media
- USA Rugby interviewed Scion’s Jade McGrath about their undefeated run to the Cup at USA Rugby National Club 7s
- South Africa’s Nolusindiso Booi wishes everyone a happy Women’s Month
- Back the Girls pod is out with their first episode on all things Wales
- Ugo Monye talks with Great Britain’s Abbie Brown about her time in Tokyo
- Women’s Rugby Show talks with New Zealand’s Michaela Blyde about getting Gold as well as another episode where they reveal an uncapped Roses XVs side
All rugby in New Zealand this weekend cancelled or postponedhttps://t.co/dngl7qtP7z— RugbyRedefined (@RedefinedRugby) August 18, 2021
Bunnings Warehouse NPC, Farah Palmer Cup (FPC) and Heartland Championship matches, as well as all community and school rugby this weekend has been cancelled or… https://t.co/bo1Y96rBTP
https://twitter.com/yscrugby/status/1427344425592705031 https://twitter.com/ScionRugby/status/1427268139994083329 https://twitter.com/yscrugby/status/1428356254724804611 https://twitter.com/yscrugby/status/1429156400584876033
The joy from their Olympics; overcoming French sporting culture; building a team from the ground up - the world's most experienced women's international coach looks back on the past 5 years, and forward in this great interview from @SevensRugbyFRhttps://t.co/tlLM5ynEch pic.twitter.com/q8sTW2KNuw— Scrumqueens - Women’s Rugby (@ScrumQueens) August 12, 2021
Katie Sadleir to leave World Rugby to join Commonwealth Games Federation as new Chief Executive https://t.co/vLZBk4sW9v— World Rugby Media (@worldrugbymedia) August 17, 2021
England star tells WRU and other Six Nations countries to 'pull their socks up' over 'unfair' fundinghttps://t.co/CP4p09fBCf— WalesOnline Rugby (@WalesRugby) August 19, 2021
❤️ "For everyone to say 'you guys did so well, we're so proud of you' and how many messages we received about how inspiring we've been. It's actually been really nice." @GBRugbySevens captain @abbiebrown10 chats to @ugomonye about her #Tokyo2020 experience #TheWrap pic.twitter.com/gF3sqzefXn— World Rugby (@WorldRugby) August 14, 2021
In a very special edition of The Women's Rugby Show, @sambytheway99 sat down over Zoom with Olympic Gold Medalist Michaela Blyde.— The Womens Rugby Show (@WomensRugbyShow) August 13, 2021
A must-watch if we don't say so ourselves!https://t.co/cskEn0mwZH#womensrugby #womeninsport #blackferns #newzealand #tokyo2020 #olympics pic.twitter.com/Dt7KMOzOD2
AN UNCAPPED #REDROSES XV?!— The Womens Rugby Show (@WomensRugbyShow) August 19, 2021
Sam faced some more tough decisions as he named his Uncapped Red Roses XV!
Check the video out over on YouTube now!
Do you agree with our side? Let us know in the comments who you'd pick!https://t.co/EaB4tq4mWg#womensrugby #womeninsport #wrugby pic.twitter.com/UnW4h6OD6f