Welcome to the top women’s rugby news for Aug 30 – Sep 5. World Rugby confirmed the schedule for the Rugby World Cup 2021 European Qualifier taking place in Italy on September 13, 19 and 25. The winner takes the Europe 1 place in Pool B and the runner-up will progress to the Final Qualification Tournament.
In HSBC 7s news, we learned that the stops in Singapore and Cape Town have been cancelled due to the ongoing pandemic. So, that means that the only events in 2021 are back-to-back stops in Vancouver and Edmonton. For 2022, we only know that the series will start in Dubai and we will have to wait for more details.
In domestic XVs news, Munster and Leinster are on top of Ireland’s Interprovincial table, we recap round 1 and five matches of Allianz Premier 15s, Wales’ community rugby has kicked off, France’s Elite 1 competition begins in two weeks and a Fijiana side may be included in Australia’s Super W.
We close out the week with 2 articles in Other News, 14 features and 7 media.
We need you! Become a supporter of our site at https://www.patreon.com/yscrugby.
tl;dr: Under the Posts – Women’s Rugby News for Aug 30-Sep 5. World Rugby confirmed the schedule for the RWC 2021 Europe Qualifier in Parma, Italy on September 13, 19 and 25 and we received more updates to the HSBC 7s series.
Featured Women’s Rugby News
World Rugby announced the schedule and match officials of the RWC 2021 Europe Qualifier in Parma, Italy, on 13, 19 and 25 September, 2021. Italy, Spain, Ireland and Scotland will compete for the Europe 1 place in Pool B and the runner-up will progress to the Final Qualification Tournament.
World Rugby also announced that the HSBC 7s series has cancelled planned stops in Singapore and Cape Town due to the ongoing pandemic. The 2021 series will now only see back-to-back stops in Vancouver and Edmonton. The 2022 series will begin in Dubai but further event details are to come.
Top Women’s Rugby News
- Scotland and Italy announced their rosters ahead of the RWC 2021 Europe Qualifier
- Brazil is hosting identification events to discover younger talent
- France holds a training camp in Marcoussis as they prepare for their Autumn Internationals
- England has appealed for more countries to professionalize their women’s set-ups
- Munster remains on top of Ireland’s Interprovincial table
- Round 1 of Allianz Premier 15s saw five matches:
- Bristol 38 Exeter 21
- Sale 24 Worcester 29
- Wasps 20 Saracens 26
- Gloucester-Hartpury 84 DMP Durham 0
- Harlequins 50 Loughborough 15
- Wales is back in action with a South and North Cup as well as a Plate competition
- A Fijian side may be included in Australia’s Super W
- French Elite 1 begins in two weeks
- World Rugby has today published a modern, ambitious and player welfare driven participation plan which is focused on empowering it’s 128 member unions and six regions
- USWRF is accepting nominations for their 15 Under 30 Awards! Nominations are open from August 30th until October 4th
Women’s Rugby Features
- Trinidad and Tobago’s Kanisha Vincent is featured by Rugby Americans North (RAN)
- Western Province’s head of Women’s Rugby, Nadeema Khan shares her love of rugby and the challenges she has faced
- Ireland’s Linda Djougang has joined French champions ASM Romagnat Rugby for the 2021/22 season
- World Rugby has launched an a program of online coaching seminars, aimed at the high performance women’s game and involving some of the world’s best-known coaches
- England’s Heather Fisher is featured by The Times and her journey of living with alopecia, loving the Olympics, and retirement
- Great Britain’s Kylie Grimes became the first woman to win gold wheelchair rugby
- Oceania Rugby and its member unions will celebrate the achievements of women in the region over the next month in a bid to further increase female participation in rugby
- USA’s Ilona Maher tells Distractify about being authentic and whats next
- Gloucester-Hartpury’s Natasha Hunt is building both in the Allianz Premier 15s and further down the rugby pyramid
- Wales’ Georgia Evans is looking forward to another season with Saracens
- Mateo Nasara shares his daughter’s Ana Maria feats for Fiji at the Olympics
- South Africa’s Zelda Freitag has been coaching for the past three years in Emalahleni and is keen to build a network in the country and beyond
- Wales’ Jasmine Joyce is back with Bristol and ready to terrorize opponents when the new season kicks off
Women’s Rugby Media
- The Womens Rugby Show talks with USA’s Ilona Maher and they look at the start of Allianz Premier 15s
- England features Heather Fisher as she’s announced her retirement
- Girls Rugby Inc’s Jenn Heinrich talks with WithYou! Rugby Podcast about joining forces
- CorksRedFM Women in Sport interviews Munsters’ Head Coach Matt Brown and looks ahead at the start of Allianz Premier 15s
- Goals podcast shares episode 15 ‘The Business Case for Women’s Sports’
- Allianz Insurance spoke with England stars to hear what they would tell their 8-year-old self, and what advice they would give to younger generations interested in sport
The French Elite 1 begins again in two weeks time with another new format (2 x pools of 7 teams), but the 2019 champions Montpellier have put a marker down beating the 2021 champions Romagnat in a friendly today. The teams will be in different pools when the championship begins. https://t.co/FKwfsnzHGC— Scrumqueens - Women’s Rugby (@ScrumQueens) September 4, 2021
"I’ve struggled to express myself in life as a female, because of hair loss. Rugby was a safe place."— Times Sport (@TimesSport) September 5, 2021
Heather Fisher talks to @stephenjones9 about living with alopecia, loving the Olympics, and retirement. https://t.co/0UvQnknG8r
"I have always been so passionate about growing the game. I am really fortunate to be in this place and I am very excited about what the future holds.”— Talking Rugby Union (@TalkRugbyUnion) September 3, 2021
Natasha Hunt chats to TRU about her role within Hartpury University and the new @Premier15s season.https://t.co/OEFAjDMgHz pic.twitter.com/EnT1fwYoSG
Another special edition of the show as @sambytheway99 spoke to #TeamUSA Olympian and Tik Tok star @ilona_maher.— The Womens Rugby Show (@WomensRugbyShow) August 31, 2021
A real must see (even if we do say so ourselves) so check it out!https://t.co/eMZzgq8vAu#usarugby #womensrugby #wrugby #Tokyo2020 #usaeagles pic.twitter.com/Wbv5fksErE
OUT NOW ➡️ Ep. 15 of The Business Case For Women's Sports.— GOALS | Women’s Sports (@goals_sports_) September 1, 2021
Hear @pghcaroline catch-up with @thayerjlavielle, the EVP at @WassCollective, about The Collective® Marketplace - the first & only online collectible & memorabilia marketplace that is dedicated to women’s sports. pic.twitter.com/wA5DAJbmz9
We spoke to @EnglandRugby Red Roses stars to hear what they would tell their 8-year-old self, and what advice they would give to younger generations interested in sport. #WomenInSport pic.twitter.com/iGwxTDdstj— Allianz Insurance (@allianzuknews) September 4, 2021