Welcome to the top women’s rugby news for Sep 6-12. Munster are the 2021 Vodafone Women’s Interprovincial Champions, Saracens, Harlequins and Bristol are tied for first after two rounds of Allianz Premier 15s, and the Dr Farah Palmer Cup will restart “without Counties Manukau, Auckland and North Harbour” this weekend.
In 7s news, Vancouver 7s will be a “Fast Four” tournament with Canada, Great Britain, the USA and Mexico participating on September 18-19. Mexico replaced France after to COVID-19 related international travel logistics issues.
In Other News, five women who have made pioneering and ground-breaking contributions to rugby and wider society are being inducted into Scotland’s Rugby Hall of Fame, Ireland is roiled by another scandal at an Interpros match between Connacht and Leinster where they had teams change next to dumpsters and construction debris instead of in the venue’s empty changing rooms.
We close out the week with 14 features and 10 media.
We need you! Become a supporter of our site at https://www.patreon.com/yscrugby
tl;dr: Under the Posts – Women’s Rugby News for Sep 6-12 begins with the 2021 Interprovincial Championships, Round 2 of Allianz Premier 15s and Vancouver 7s “Fast Four” tournament will include Canada, Great Britain, USA and Mexico.
Top Women’s Rugby News
- Munster won the 2021 Vodafone Interprovincial Champions while Leinster won the PwCIreland U18 Interprovincials
- Saracens, Harlequins and Bristol all have 2 bonus point wins in round 2 of Allianz Premier 15s
- Spain’s Iberdrola will not start as planned and no definitive date has been announced
- New Zealand’s Dr Farah Palmer Cup will restart “without Counties Manukau, Auckland and North Harbour” this weekend
- Scotland’s Tennent’s Premiership will begin next weekend
- Vancouver 7s will be a “Fast Four” tournament with Canada, Great Britain, the USA and Mexico participating on September 18-19. The format will see all teams play each other before the top two play for gold and the other two teams compete for third place.
- Dee Bradbury, Vicky Galbraith, Keri Holdsworth, Kim Littlejohn and Ally Ratcliffe are being inducted into Scotland’s Rugby Hall of Fame
- Ireland is roiled by another scandal at an Interpros match between Connacht and Leinster where they had teams change next to dumpsters and construction debris instead of in the venue’s empty changing rooms
- Sale announces 13 signings including Olympic 7s player Lisa Thomson, Ireland prop Leah Lyons, and US international Nick James
Women’s Rugby Features
- AS Monaco’s Fabien Camin shares how her club has grown by focusing on youth
- Former Fiji 7s rep Daniele Tabuakuru feels that “girls can’t all be netball or basketball players but the Fijiana just proved that anyone can become an Olympian through rugby”
- New Zealand’s Amy Rule shares how she fell in love with the sport and is ready to be a Black Fern
- Stella Mills follows on Crewkerne player Cody Hyland’s spectacle of trying to find gender specific rugby boots
- Australia’s Tyler Miller is one of the most promising talents coming through the refereeing ranks, rewarded with selection at the Tokyo 2020 Olympics
- Wales’ Jade Knight called time on her career just 12 months from a World Cup due to a lack of support
- Italy’s Beatrice Rigoni shares why she believes “[we] deserve to be part of Rugby World Cup 2021”
- Australia’s Emilee Cherry is set to forge a new path as she will be part of an inaugural program headed up by the Australian Institute of Sport to promote athletes transitioning from playing to coaching
- WRCRA features Brandeis Universities Olivia Benzan-Daniel in their 2021 Coach of Month series
- Waitaki’s Kayla Hodge shares how her life revolves around rugby
- England’s Rochelle ‘Rocky’ Clark has joined Bedford Modern School as a permanent member of coaching staff
- New Zealand’s Krystal Murray shares how a a moment of tragedy has finally led to a Black Ferns call-up
Women’s Rugby Media
- Greaux Rugby Show talks with Jenn Salomon of Mexico
- Ireland’s Ciara Griffin shares how it is their goal to qualify for the 2021 Rugby World Cup
- Bristol’s Abbie Ward talks with Ugo Monye about joining her husband’s team
- Women’s Rugby Show looks at round 2 of Allianz Premier 15s
- Women’s Rugby Pod kicks off season 3 with England’s Johnnie Hammond and Sarah Hunter
- New Zealand’s Patricia Maliepo will get her first stamp in her passport as a Black Fern
- England’s Nikki O’Donnell sorts out the two scrum halves from Loughborough and Saracens
- Rugby Hive talks with Trinidad and Tobago’s Maria Thomas
- Scotland’s Dr Rachel Malcom shares how her team has been prepping for the 2021 Rugby World Cup Qualifiers
- U.S. Air Force Staff Sgt. Stefani Loisel tells how rugby is everything
Se confirma que la 1a jornada de la @DHIberdrola ha sido aplazada sin fecha definida por el momento.— Rugby femenino (@Rugby_femenino) September 6, 2021
Como es sabido, las Leonas estarán jugando ante Italia en esas fechas (25 y 26/9) por el clasificatorio a la Copa del Mundo.
Twelve-team #HSBC7s men’s event will take place alongside a women’s Fast Four tournament at BC Place in Vancouver on 18-19 September— World Rugby Sevens (@WorldRugby7s) September 10, 2021
Just got sent this— The 2nd Row (@the2ndRow) September 11, 2021
Absolutely disgusting and disgraceful that the Connacht women had to get changed with the rats for the #WomensInterpros today
I've walked lyrical about this tournament but to see this I'm horrified
I'm lost for words at this
Equally Saddened & infuriated pic.twitter.com/Wh1cvBQbdg
'My son asked me: Do you love rugby more than me?' – Jade Knight tells @KateLouiseRowan why she decided to call time on her career just over a year out from the Rugby World Cup. https://t.co/MutVXrB0Gz— Telegraph Women’s Sport (@WomensSport) September 8, 2021
We are delighted to announce that former England international rugby player Rochelle ‘Rocky’ Clark MBE has joined Bedford Modern School as a permanent member of coaching staff. Read more: https://t.co/WVQqD8CmEI pic.twitter.com/FBKC8AeH7x— Bedford Modern (@BedfordModern) September 8, 2021
Sometimes it is great to get out of your comfort zone and find a new challenge. Eimear Considine didn't shy away from the challenge: https://t.co/XF8lR3kz9D#irishrugby #womensrugby #rugby #20x20 #noceilings #shecanshewill #girlsplaytoo #clare #dublin #ireland #eire pic.twitter.com/dGGnlqd1Qs— TwoDaughters (@daughters_two) September 9, 2021
The 28 year-old has become a fan-favourite in the Farah Palmer Cup.#LoveEveryMinute— Black Ferns (@BlackFerns) September 10, 2021
As we head into Round 2 of the #Premier15s we see the return of Player Previews, the series in which we speak to a player from the game we attend at the weekend.— The Womens Rugby Show (@WomensRugbyShow) September 10, 2021
This week we speak to @LightningRugby second-row Iona Antwis.
Check it out.https://t.co/nOuu9xgPvf#womensrugby pic.twitter.com/iQ8tDIkkDF