Welcome to the top women’s rugby news in under 60 seconds for Oct 11-17*. Tunisia has won the 2021 Africa Cup, Sweden is undefeated so far in the European Trophy & Ireland announced two Autumn International matches against USA and Japan in November.
We’re also looking at Canada’s announced roster as they prepare for matches against the USA, England and Wales. Speaking of Wales, they have appointed Ioan Cunningham as head coach while they prepare for matches against Japan, Wales and Canada. He and his staff will remain in place until through the World Cup, the Black Ferns fill out a High Performance camp with a long-term goal of fielding an U20 team for international fixtures, and Namibia appointed CJ Kotze as head coach.
In domestic XVs news, we look at the standings in Ireland’s AIL, France’s Elite 1, and Hong Kong’s Premiership.
We close out the week with 1 “Other News” article where World Rugby announced we can all wear tights now, and then we have 13 features and 4 media.
We need you! Become a supporter of our site at https://www.patreon.com/yscrugby.
tl;dr: Women’s Rugby in 60 secs – Oct 11-17. Tunisia has won the 2021 Africa Cup, Sweden is undefeated so far in the European Trophy & Ireland announces to Autumn Internationals.
*We’re testing out a few new names around our weekly 60 second videos. Same great update but just trying some new names.
60 Second Video Update
Top Women’s Rugby Stories
- Tunisia has won the 2021 Rugby Africa Cup after defeating Ivory Coast and Senegal
- Sweden leads the Rugby Europe Trophy
- Ireland announces two Autumn Internationals against USA on November 12 and Japan on the 20th
- Canada announces their squad ahead of the Autumn Internationals, they first face USA on November 1
- New Zealand announces a 42 players for a high performance camp with an eye towards fielding an U20 side
- Namibia announces Christel Janet (CJ) Kotze as their Senior National Head Coach
- Wales appoints their World Cup Coaching team
- Texas is hosting their 6th Annual Senior All Star Tournament in the DFW area the first weekend of December
- Houston will see the Colleges in an All Star Tournament in January
- UL Bohemian remains on top of Ireland’s AIL
- Valence has overtaken Stade for first in France’s Elite 1
- Societe Generale Valley is on top of Hong Kong’s Premiership
- World Rugby announces that all players can wear tights
Women’s Rugby Features
- PACE explores generations of rugby players and how gender roles are changing
- Ireland look to put World Cup disappointment behind them in Autumn Internationals
- The Welsh Rugby Union has presented caps to a number of Wales Women internationals who, for various reasons, didn’t receive one at the time of their first cap – and is calling for all Wales Women internationals past and present to come forward as part of an initiative to collate online records
- Jennifer Boyd’s holistic approach to coaching paying dividends at the University of Ottawa
- Black Fern Kendra Cocksedge shares her excitement around the newly announced Matatū Super Rugby team
- Takunda Rusike has started a women’s rugby club at Howard, the second known at a historically Black University
- Asia’s Gabriel Lee stepped way from refereeing in 2017 but is back after been appointed to the Asia Rugby Selection and Appointments Panel
- England profiles Carol Isherwood, whose resume boasts captaining both Great Britain and England and helping to establish the Rugby Football Union for Women
- Wales women’s interim coaching team will stay in place for the 2022 Rugby World Cup, the Welsh Rugby Union has confirmed
- Sir Ian McGeechan writes for Telegraph that the women’s Lions team needs to contain at least two players from all four nations
- Hugh Godwin also looks at the topic of a women’s Lion side and looks at questions around “if” it should occur
Women’s Rugby Media
- Women’s Rugby Pod is joined by Wales’ Siwan Lillicrap and Saracens’ Sonia Green
- South Africa’s Cindy Booi answers fan’s questions
- Black Ferns’ Krystal ‘Muzza’ Murray was mic’d up for a team photo & went undercover
- Try Hards dropped another episode with Danielle Waterman and Laura-Jane Jones
So good to have rugby back and the @rugby_europe— Tamara Taylor (@Timmytammy8) October 16, 2021
Trophy back underway!
Well done to @svenskrugby girls on the 24-10 win against a tough @finlandrugby team.
Proud coaches 😊#Womensrugby #swedishrugby pic.twitter.com/FweQKIkiF5
Canada’s National Senior Women’s 15s team return to action on Nov. 1 to kick off their Fall Tour, beginning with a pair of matches against @USARugby at Infinity Park in Colorado! 🔥 Check out Canada's confirmed roster below.— Rugby Canada (@RugbyCanada) October 14, 2021
Release 👉 https://t.co/VO3rgntItX#RugbyCA 🏉 pic.twitter.com/W7VNwWYU2T
42 of the country's most talented young female players will come together at a High Performance Development camp 👏🏾— Black Ferns (@BlackFerns) October 15, 2021
#WalesWomen coaching team appointed for next 12 months, taking the side through this autumn campaign, @Womens6Nations and @rugbyworldcup— Welsh Rugby Union 🏉 (@WelshRugbyUnion) October 17, 2021
| Llongyfarchiadau Ioan Cunningham, Geraint Lewis, Richard Whiffin a Sophie Spencehttps://t.co/8g6te80Wit
📢 Dernière journée avant la pause internationale ! Bon week-end à toutes et à tous 🙏— Elite 1 Féminine (@Elite1Feminine) October 15, 2021
Suivez tous les scores en direct sur le site compétitions !
👉 https://t.co/8d5gWL32Uh#Elite1 pic.twitter.com/XEKriwoK6Z
Big kudos to the undefeated league leader @SGValleyRFC as they hit @SCAACausewayBay with a convincing 54-0 win in today’s Dettol Hong Kong Women’s Premiership!#hkrugby #ProtectTheBestMoments #AGameForAll pic.twitter.com/USr2oi3uv5— HKRU (@HongKongRugby) October 16, 2021
Texas is bringing their All Star Tournament back! Dec 4-5 in Grand Prairie. https://t.co/wAfXNwXpN9— YSCRugby - Women's Rugby 🏉🏳️⚧️✊ (@yscrugby) October 14, 2021
Some of the best women's rugby players in the country will be in Houston on January 22-23. The Women's Collegiate Rugby All Stars will be competing for the National 7s Cup. Contact your Conference Commissioner to learn more about the selection process.#NCRProud #LinkinBio pic.twitter.com/UQ4F8xb9T2— National Collegiate Rugby (@ncrrugby) October 14, 2021
🗣️ "The women’s game has huge challenges when it comes to developing standards outside of a handful of top nations. That should be the most pressing focus for those running the sport," says @ScrumQueens founder @AliDonnellyhttps://t.co/0JqDUuc4BL— i sport (@iPaperSport) October 14, 2021
Interesting take on a women’s @lionsofficial tour by the Lion King Sir Ian McGeechan 🦁 #wrugby— Sara Orchard (@Sara_Orchard) October 17, 2021
A women's Lions tour would be an incredible shot in the arm - but it can't all be about Englandhttps://t.co/zxaemRzKxJ
"As a union, we are committed to providing the coaches and players with the support they need to give the squad the best possible preparation for next year's Rugby World Cup."— BBC Sport Wales (@BBCSportWales) October 17, 2021
🏉 https://t.co/XqOapHMwl2 pic.twitter.com/finaoT9dMS
We tell the story of @etonmanorwomen as a newly formed team and how the old and new generations share the passion for rugby. The strong bond between mothers and their children on and off the pitch has shaped the identity of the club.— PACE (@pace_zine) October 14, 2021
Full story on https://t.co/7r0Ylsj17S pic.twitter.com/LPeuhKW55L
We are back with @JohnnieHammond who is joined by special guests @SiwanLillicrap and Sonia Green to the pod this week— Women’s Rugby Pod (@podwomensrugby) October 14, 2021
🏆 Allianz Premier 15s
🏉 300th Appearance
🌍 Global News
🎧 Hit the link in our bio to listen now
Thank you to our friends @veocamera#WRP pic.twitter.com/iwKEuZfPbW