Welcome to the top women’s rugby news in under 60 seconds for Dec 6-12. We now know the winners of the prestigious World Rugby Awards, Black Fern Te Kura Ngata-Aerengamte has bravely shared her story of experiencing a mental breakdown during the Autumn Internationals, and former Ireland captain Claire Molloy has called for more accountability in women’s rugby.
In domestic XVs news, the USA’s Women’s Premier League (WPL) will return in 2022 with 10 teams, and Ireland’s AIL has concluded league play. Railway Union, UL Bohemians, Blackrock College and Old Belvedere all qualified for the Final Four. The fifth to 10th placed teams will play in a round-robin for a Division Conference trophy.
We also check out the standings for Spain’s Iberdrola, France’s Elite 1, Allianz Premier 15s, and Hong Kong’s Premiership.
In 7s news, Australia announced a surprise swap in coaches as Tim Walsh returns to focus on the women while John Manenti moves over to the men’s side.
We close out the week with 13 features and 9 media.
We need you! Become a supporter of our site at https://www.patreon.com/yscrugby.
tl;dr: Women’s Rugby in 60 secs – Dec 6-12. The World Rugby Winners were announced, Black Fern Te Kura Ngata-Aerengamte opens up about mental health, and Ireland’s Claire Molloy demands accountability.
60 Second Video Update
Featured Women’s Rugby Stories
We now know the World Rugby Award winners for 2021!
- Women’s XVs Player of the Year – Zoe Aldcroft (ENG)
- Women’s 7s Player of the Year – Anne-Cécile Ciofani (FRA)
- Women’s XVs Dream Team of the Year
- Annaelle Deshayes (FRA)
- Agathe Sochat (FRA)
- Sarah Bern (ENG)
- Safi N’Diaye (FRA)
- Abbie Ward (ENG)
- Zoe Aldcroft (ENG)
- Karen Paquin (CAN)
- Poppy Cleall (ENG)
- Laure Sansus (FRA)
- Caroline Drouin (FRA)
- Abby Dow (ENG)
- Beatrice Rigoni (ITA)
- Stacey Fluhler (NZL)
- Caroline Boujard (FRA)
- Jasmine Joyce (WAL)
- Coach of the Year – Simon Middleton (ENG)
Top Women’s Rugby Stories
- Black Fern’s player Te Kura Ngata-Aerengamte has shared her story on social media, explaining she experienced a mental breakdown during the Autumn Internationals
- Women in Rugby Aotearoa urges New Zealand Rugby to take mental health ‘seriously’ following Black Fern’s revelations
- Former Ireland captain Claire Molloy opens up about retirement and the need for more accountability in women’s rugby
- Spain’s Iberdrola sees CR Majadahonda leading the group but is closely chased by U.S Sevilla CR, Avia Eibar RT and Olympic of Poz
- Stade Toulousain has a commanding lead in France’s Elite 1 with ASM Romagnat and Stade Français Paris
- Bristol secured a close win over Worcester this week to remain in the number one spot for Allianz Premier 15s but they are hunted by Saracens, Harlequins and Wasps
- In Ireland’s AIL, the final four are set with Railway Union, UL Bohemian, Blackrock and Old Belvedere
- The 5th through 10 teams will play in a round robin for a Division Conf Championship
- In Hong Kong’s Premiership, Societe Generale Valley leads by 13 points over Kroll USRC and ever widening margins over Gai Wu and DAC Kowloon
- Australia announces that they are swapping their men’s and women’s head coaches; John Manenti now heads the men while Tim Walsh returns to the women
Women’s Rugby Features
- Wales’ Elinor Snowsill on retirement and the about turn the WRU has taken
- England’s Zoe Aldcroft shares how it felt to be crowned the world’s best rugby player
- Dr Araba Chintoh energized to lead World Rugby Women’s Player Welfare Steering Group
- England’s Jodie Ounsley proves being profoundly deaf will not hold her back from her sport
- Canada’s Kelly Russell on the next generation of Canadian rugby stars
- USA women learning under Emilie Bydwell but have a “good platform to build on”
- “You’re nothing without your team”: World Rugby Coach of the Year Simon Middleton dedicates award to England squad and staff
- Women’s Sport & the Media – the Chicken or the Egg?
- In a dominant run, the Vassar women’s rugby team comes home as national champions
- “Believe in your dreams” – sevens star Anne-Cécile Ciofani
- The Barbarians and Ireland star Anna Caplice condemns online “begrudgers” who discredit the history making 29,581 Twickenham
- Melbourne Rebels yet to determine contracting, payment details for women’s team
Women’s Rugby Media
- Uganda’s Winnie Atyang talks with Spain’s Patricia Garcia spoke about the rugby community and how the game changes lives
- England want to win the World Cup, it’s the ‘holy grail’, says coach Simon Middleton in an interview with BBC Sport
- Katy Daley Mclean opens up about rugby with Sales Sharks Rugby
- Relive France’s Emilie Boulard’s try as it’s won the International Rugby Player’s Women’s Try of the Year
- Nigel Owens discusses inclusivity and diversity – and how rugby is for everybody
- Rugby Wrap Up covers the USA Rugby and National College Rugby Championships
- KTVZ in Central Oregon highlighted the Pacific NW All Stars win at the Mary Graham All Stars Tournament
- Former Ireland player Yvonne Nolan runs through the important work she does on the HSBC Sevens Series circuit as World Rugby‘s Deputy General Counsel
- Learn the HSBC Sport Women’s Dream Team from the second week of Dubai 7s
#EnergiaAIL— Irish Rugby (@IrishRugby) December 12, 2021
Railway Union went unbeaten across the first half of the Energia Women’s All-Ireland League, while aside from the top four, Galwegians finished the best of the rest following a 22-7 win over Wicklow. #NothingLikeIt https://t.co/YDygPTfeJl
Well this must be a first. Rugby Australia has today announced the appointment of Tim Walsh as Women’s Sevens coach and John Manenti as Men’s Sevens coach until 2024 - effectively they are swapping jobs. Walsh had previously coached the Women’s team to Olympic gold.— Scrumqueens - Women’s Rugby (@ScrumQueens) December 9, 2021
"“This is what we’ve always wanted – the prime slot.”— Her Sport (@HerSportDotIE) December 10, 2021
Anna Caplice reflects on the record breaking Barbarians who entertained the largest ever crowd at a women’s rugby matchhttps://t.co/G40fE5fPMW
A pioneer in her sport and a true inspiration. After a difficult start to life @_jodieounsley is now living her best life playing for club, country and potentially Team GB at the Olympics. @SaleSharksWomen @EnglandRugby @GBRugbySevens https://t.co/0axTtdIUGW— David Chisnall (@dchisnallITV) December 9, 2021
BIG SHOW re HUGE Week of College Rugby! Champions, Contenders, Women, Men, Big Interviews & Footage. From @NCRrugby Championships to @OSUrugby winning @D1ARugby to @USNavy Women's Rugby, @RugbyWrapUp has it all. https://t.co/HugAB8c183 #RugbyWrapUp #CollegeRugby #Rugby— Rugby Wrap Up (@RugbyWrapUp) December 10, 2021
On the pitch ➡️ Off the pitch— World Rugby Sevens (@WorldRugby7s) December 6, 2021
Former @IrishRugby player Yvonne Nolan runs through the important work she does on the #HSBC7s Series circuit as @WorldRugby's Deputy General Counsel @HSBC_Sport pic.twitter.com/rYi0PMDBR7
“It is a sport that has made me how I am today.”— BBC World Service (@bbcworldservice) December 6, 2021
Winnie Atyang from @LadyCranesRugby says rugby motivated her to return to school after the birth of her twins. She talks with @PGR_RUGBY about the life-changing power of the sport https://t.co/ycFamJqYXN