Welcome to the top women’s rugby news in under 60 seconds for Apr 11-17. Monday morning saw the release of the Black Ferns Cultural Environmental review. Most of us were shocked when head coach Glenn Moore remained because the report pointed to an utter failure of leadership among other key points. By Saturday Moore had resigned and we’re expecting an announcement around a new coaching appointment this week.
In more XVs news, Italy announced centralized contracts for 25 athletes, Japan announced their squad ahead of their three matches in Australia, and Ireland has moved up to 7th in the World Rugby Rankings while Italy fell to 8th.
In domestic XVs news, Waratahs booked their place in the Super W final which will be a rematch against Fijiana Drua on April 23 and Harlequins and Exeter will face off in the Allianz Premier 15s Cup on April 23 and round 2 of USA’s WPL saw wins by Life West, Berkeley, San Diego and New York.
We close out the week with 7s news, 2 articles in our “Other News” category, 15 features and 7 media.
We need you! Become a supporter of our site at https://www.patreon.com/yscrugby.
tl;dr: Women’s Rugby in 60 secs for Apr 11-17 saw Glenn Moore resign after the Black Ferns Cultural Environmental review was released and Italy announced 25 centralized contracts.
60 Second Video Update
Featured Women’s Rugby Stories
What a whirlwind week for New Zealand. The Black Ferns Cultural Environmental review was released on Monday with 26 recommendations. The report was sparked by the 2021 Instagram post by touring squad member Te Kura Ngata-Aerengamate alleging inappropriate comments and language used by head coach Glenn Moore.
The review, which interviewed 52 players, management and people recently associated with the team, found major shortcomings in the way the Black Ferns organization operated and produced 26 recommendations under seven themes. At initial release Moore was “committed to learning from the review” and remained coach.
By Saturday, head coach Glenn Moore had resigned. Seems the least that could be done as the report originated from his comments and clearly showed the failures of leadership around the Black Ferns. It is understood that an update around coaching appointments will be provided next week. Have to wonder if there will be a transparent process as “shoulder tapping” was clearly called out in the report…
Top Women’s Rugby Stories
- Italy announced a series of new investments for their women’s side:
- Eleven Sport will broadcast a weekly match and the final stage of their Series A Championship
- Title Sponsorship of that league now matches the main sponsor FIR Bitpanda
- 25 centralized contracts to support professional or University careers
- Japan announced their touring squad for their matches in Australia in May
- Ireland moved up in the World Rugby Rankings from 8th to 7th while Italy moved from 7th down to 8th
- Waratahs booked their place in the Super W final which will be a rematch against Fijiana Drua on April 23
- Harlequins and Exeter will face off in the Allianz Premier 15s Cup on April 23
- Round 2 of USA’s WPL saw wins by Life West, Berkeley, San Diego and New York
- The USA Club Super Regionals are coming together
- World Rugby has provided a preview of the 2022 Rugby World Cup Sevens in South Africa from September 9-11
- 32 nations have entered the 2022 European Sevens Championships
- Our raffle for a signed women’s England warmup top or Japan jersey continues, be entered by becoming a supporter on Patreon
- USA Rugby announced a new referee development structure
Women’s Rugby Features
- Ahead of their remaining Six Nations matches, Ireland Head Coach Greg McWilliams has revealed that he may have to plan without up to half-a-dozen players for the last two rounds due to conflicting 7s duties
- England’s Nolli Waterman is featured by The Rugby Journal
- The Rugby Breakdown shares that USA’s Rob Cain has embarked on his annual tour of domestic competitions, focusing on the Women’s Premier League (WPL), the country’s top club league
- England’s Shaunagh Brown column for BBC: ‘They didn’t know the Women’s Six Nations existed, now we break records’
- England’s Claudia MacDonald: England scrum-half says she may not play again after neck injury
- Ali Donnelly writes for The Guardian about how England and France lead way but women’s rugby is being badly let down elsewhere
- Jim Brown, executive chairman of the USA Rugby World Cup Bid Committee in an interview with Sportico says that with World Cups, Rugby can be America’s next sport
- World Rugby Museum covers “The Rise of the Black Ferns”
- Jess Watkins will become the second rugby player on the ISS when her mission launches later this week
- Labour MP Tonia Antoniazzi earned nine caps for Wales, appearing at a World Cup & being part of a Benetton Treviso set-up years ahead of its time. At 50, she can still be tempted to put on her boots…
- In a Talking Rugby Union exclusive: Jo Yapp talks uni rugby and growing Worcester Warriors Women
- ‘Aunty Rana’ honored for contribution to Northland Rugby
- Rooster Chicken Fijiana Drua head coach Senirusi Seruvakula has put out a clear message to his players, “Women who want to represent the Fijian rugby team to the Rugby World Cup from October 8 to November 12 in New Zealand, must prove themselves”
Women’s Rugby Media
- Prior to the historic announcement from Italy, forward Giada Franco spoke to #TheNickandMoShow about the advantages of being a full-time player
- Scrum V has an impressive panel including Philippa Tuttiett, Nick Robinson, Alisha Butchers and Ali Donnelly talking about the progress of women’s rugby in 2022
- Squidge does Wales and their phenomenal performance in the Six Nations
- Women’s Rugby Pod talks Six Nations, Rugby World Cup and other news with Poppy Cleal and Fiona Lewis
- Marlie Packer like you’ve (probably) never heard her before – on balancing motherhood with professional rugby
- Claudia McDonald shares more about her fear of never playing rugby again
- Izzy Mayhew, Jess Breach, and Beth Blacklock discuss what they would do if they weren’t a professional rugby player
For those in the Northern Hemisphere waking up, here’s the best summary of where we are at.https://t.co/Og7C1f0oIX— Alice Soper (@alicesoapbox) April 11, 2022
In a column about professionalism in @TimesSport last month I wrote about how the quality & qualifications of coaches in elite women’s rugby varies wildly. In a wide ranging review into the NZ women's set up, this is acknowledged today there too /1https://t.co/eWMdJEFLvr— Ali Donnelly (@AliDonnelly) April 11, 2022
Here's @AliDonnelly on why Glenn Moore's departure is a headache but also a huge opportunity for the Black Ferns & why the odds are still stacked against them ahead of their home World Cup. https://t.co/eqlLiNZBKM pic.twitter.com/fKgM0Bx7VA— Scrumqueens - Women’s Rugby (@ScrumQueens) April 16, 2022
🔵 #Italdonne #FIR annuncia la contrattualizzazione di venticinque atlete in vista della @rugbyworldcup d’autunno in Nuova Zelanda ➡ https://t.co/BY5srzDDxe#insieme #rugbypassioneitaliana pic.twitter.com/ZaOMUnulTO— Italrugby (@Federugby) April 13, 2022
📢 Australian Tour Squad Announced!— Japan Rugby (@JRFURugby) April 15, 2022
Sakura Fifteen head coach, Lesley McKenzie is excited to announce the team members headed for Australia this month for their three fixtures against Fiji, Australia and Australian Barbarians 🌸
More details below 👇 https://t.co/e5LOYMRKtl pic.twitter.com/JIiDWI9Dpl
Week 2 @WPLRugby Results:— The Rugby Breakdown (@TheRugbyBD) April 18, 2022
BLUE CONFERENCE@lifewestrugby (2-0) 17-10 @BeantownRFC (0-1)@AllBluesRugby (2-0) 51-0 @AHWRFC (0-1)
RED CONFERENCE@SDSurfersRugby (1-1) 61-12 @ORSURugby (0-2)@NewYorkRugby (2-0) 52-7 @TCAmazonRugby (0-1) pic.twitter.com/72K7LMjK0W
.@USARugby Club D1 Super Regionals are coming along:— YSCRugby - Women's Rugby 🏉🏳️⚧️✊ (@yscrugby) April 17, 2022
Red River/Rocky Mtn - @HoustonRugby v @COGRAYWOLVES on 4/24; play again 5/7
NorCal - League until 4/23
East - @novawrfc v @PhilaRugby & @RaleighRugby
Midwest - @clrfc v @MetropolisRFC
37 nations have entered 2022 @rugby_europe Sevens, and 17 the U18 Sevens - including one nation (Estonia) potentially making their international debut. https://t.co/G5vBwoSj0e pic.twitter.com/hYeDdwc2jF— Scrumqueens - Women’s Rugby (@ScrumQueens) April 14, 2022
Details of @rugby_europe 7s published. https://t.co/qasWu7HzZJ. After withdrawing from series last year England relegated to the Trophy series for the first time. France & Ireland retain their place in the Championship despite also missing 2021 alongside Wales & Scotland.— Scrumqueens - Women’s Rugby (@ScrumQueens) April 14, 2022
NEWS | Updates announced for USA Rugby Referee development pathways and 2022 @wplrugby Referee Panel.— USA Rugby (@USARugby) April 12, 2022
McWilliams reveals Irish squad to be hit by Sevens exodus https://t.co/Suqn2KZmRt— Irish Examiner Sport (@ExaminerSport) April 10, 2022
🏉 When the Welsh valleys boys arrived at Butlin’s for the under-12s festival, they weren’t expecting to find themselves dump-tackled and danced around by a 12-year-old girl called Nolli. But that’s what happened. And, decades later, they can still feel every one of the bruises. pic.twitter.com/vp0SwPFm8o— Rugby Journal (@JournalRugby) April 12, 2022
Powerful and emotional interview by the incredibly brave @cf_macdonald facing the cruel realities of professional sport : England scrum-half says she may not play again after neck injury #rugby https://t.co/CacICZYXbw— Sara Orchard (@Sara_Orchard) April 14, 2022
"Hosting the Rugby World Cup can and should be the next step for American sports - a natural opportunity to grow the game at home and abroad.”— USA Rugby World Cup Bid (@USRugbyWC) April 12, 2022
- Bid Chair Jim Brown in @Sportico today on the incredible potential for the future of rugby.https://t.co/ccgcMYpt4s
Labour MP Tonia Antoniazzi earned nine caps for Wales, appearing at a World Cup & being part of a Benetton Treviso set-up years ahead of its time. At 50, she can still be tempted to put on her boots... https://t.co/l7XFw5edgv pic.twitter.com/u5SuDd23ld— YSCRugby - Women's Rugby 🏉🏳️⚧️✊ (@yscrugby) April 11, 2022
🗣️"They were just an absolute pleasure to coach..."— Talking Rugby Union (@TalkRugbyUnion) April 12, 2022
Ahead of the BUCS WNL Final at Sixways on Wednesday, @Joyapp9, spoke to TRU about her time with @EUWRFC and life with @WorcsWarriorsW.
🖊️ @joeharvey34 | 📸 Mike Powellhttps://t.co/iZd93N0N6V pic.twitter.com/T58yZyLJiW
Women who want to represent the Fijian rugby team to the Rugby World Cup from October 8 to November 12 in New Zealand, must prove themselves. That’s the message from the Rooster Chicken Fijiana Drua head coach Senirusi Seruvakula https://t.co/rSgtFiS0vr pic.twitter.com/gGFGzNXJ4M— YSCRugby - Women's Rugby 🏉🏳️⚧️✊ (@yscrugby) April 13, 2022
NEW VIDEO: From sixth to the perfect start. The last few weeks, a bold, brave, and exciting Welsh side has captured the public's imagination like never before. So, how did Wales get off to their flying start, and just how significant could this be?https://t.co/AWbgOD5554 pic.twitter.com/LFMTRdieYr— Squidge Rugby (@SquidgeRugby) April 14, 2022
Nick & Mo on a Monday night. What more could you want from an evening? Live now discussing all things from Round Three! https://t.co/MA3gIQ1djw— TikTok Women's Six Nations (@Womens6Nations) April 11, 2022
The England scrum-half felt she was at the top of her game, but 'that match may well have been her last'.— BBC Sport (@BBCSport) April 14, 2022
"Some days it knocks you for six."