Welcome to the top women’s rugby news in under 60 seconds for Sep 5-11. Australia has captured a Triple Crown after winning this past weekend’s Rugby World Cup 7s, the 7s Series and the Commonwealth Games while Italy moved up to fifth place in the World Rugby Rankings after defeating France 26-19.
In more 7s news, France won the bronze medal after defeating USA 29-7 and Japan beat Poland 17-12 to take the Challenge Cup and 9th place overall.
In more XVs news, Fiji announced matches against New Zealand’s Wahine Maori and Canada on September 16 and 23, Canterbury won the Farah Palmer Cup Premiership while Hawke’s Bay won the Championship, Ireland’s Energia All-Ireland League dropped to nine teams after Malone withdrew and Italy has divided their competition into two divisions and will have a policy of promotion and relegation going forward.
We close out the week with 11 features and 4 media.
We need you! Become a supporter of our site at https://www.patreon.com/yscrugby.
tl;dr: Women’s Rugby in 60 secs for Sep 5-11 saw Australia win the 2022 Rugby World Cup 7s and Italy moved up to fifth place after defeating France 26-19.
60 Second Video Update
Your #wrugby News in under 60 seconds for Sep 5-11 saw Australia win the 2022 Rugby World Cup 7s and Italy moved up to fifth place after defeating France 26-19. Watch our video & read the entire update using the link in our bio! #womensrugby #wrugby #rugbyunion♬ original sound - YSCRugby
Top Women’s Rugby Stories
- Australia defeated New Zealand 24-22
- The Aussies have now won the RWC, Commonwealth Games and the 7s Series
- Charlotte Caslick and Sharni Williams are the first Aussie players to complete a unique quartet of 7s titles: Olympics, RWC 7, 7s Series and Commonwealth Games
- France took third over the USA 29-7 for the bronze medal
- Japan beat Poland 17-12 to take the Challenge Cup and 9th place overall
- RAN announced that Federación Mexicana de Rugby (FMRU) will host the 2022 RAN Super Sevens from November 11 to 13 in Mexico City
- Italy is going into the Rugby World Cup on a high as they beat France 26-19
- The victory sends Italy above USA to fifth in the World Rugby Rankings while France drop down to fourth with Canada replacing them in third
- Fiji announced warmup matches in Suva against New Zealand’s Wahine Maori on September 16 and Canada on September 23
- Canterbury continues their Farah Palmer Cup dominance defeating Auckland 41-14 in the Premiership while Hawke’s Bay beat Otago 24-20 for their first Championship title
- Ireland’s Energia All-Ireland League (AIL) was reduced to nine teams after Malone withdrew from competition
- Galwegians lead the league with Old Belvedere and Blackrock also recording wins
- Italy has divided their competition into two divisions for the first time with the best 8 teams in one and the other 8 in another
- These divisions create a policy of promotion-relegation in Italy for the first time
Women’s Rugby Features
- Ireland’s Energia AIL is a sprint rather than a marathon as the season began last weekend and will end December 10
- USA’s Jaz Gray shares that against all odds she became a rugby player
- England’s Sarah Bern is perhaps the leading tighthead in the world right now but, believe it or not, there was a time when she was repulsed by the idea of playing front-row
- Ruby Tui has written a book that is a raw and honest account of her journey from a troubled and unstable childhood, searching for a better option in life, to Olympic champion and the world’s best rugby sevens player
- The Rugby Players Association has promised to “rectify” pay conditions stipulated in England’s women’s contracts after it emerged players’ match fees have been slashed by half, weeks out from the World Cup
- Dr. Joanna “Jo” Bowden is featured by RAN for her ensuring player safety from a medical perspective
- Wales quietly announced on their website (no social media acknowledgment) that they are joining the RFU and Ireland in banning transgender women
- First banning transgender women’s players and now rugby in Qatar?
- Leading researcher Joanna Harper has said she would serve as an expert witness if legal action being taken against the Rugby Football Union in the wake of its ban on transgender women ended up in court
- Rugby continues to struggle with brain injuries and Ryan Jones, Steve Thompson and Michael Lipman (among others) have gone into devastating detail about the effects that repeated concussions have had on their lives
- Progressive Rugby shares a thread around injuries, it is not uncommon for a player with a muscle injury to be out for 6-8 weeks but a player with a concussion can return in less than half the time?
Women’s Rugby Media
- Watch the RWC 7s highlights – 3 days worth!
- Madagascar secured their first every victory at the RWC
- Australia donated their alternate set of jerseys to be used as training kit once it was revealed that Madagascar only had one set
- Australia Today talked with former Rugby player Michael Lipman about the shocking impact sports-related concussions have had on his life and his new book “Concussion”
All-Ireland League Update.— Irish Rugby (@IrishRugby) September 8, 2022
Malone RFC have advised the IRFU of their reluctant withdrawal from the Women’s Division of the Energia All-Ireland League for the 2022/23 season.https://t.co/QIOHqJxNxk pic.twitter.com/uUomK3EmoR
“I don’t like being outside. I don’t like getting hit hard. I don’t like grass and mud on me. I don’t really like running for that long.”— Team USA (@TeamUSA) September 9, 2022
Listen to Jaz Gray, and you might never believe she could be one of the world's best rugby players.@USARugby | #RWC7s
It would be the perfect ending to a remarkable 18-year career if @BlackFerns prop Steph Te Ohaere-Fox wins back the #FarahPalmerCup for Canterbury tomorrow, in a stadium bearing her name with great mate and fellow centurion Kendra Cocksedge @kenj0119@crfuhttps://t.co/ehcMnlwmjy— Suzanne McFadden (@suzemcfadden) September 8, 2022
Exclusive: England women have had their match fees slashed by half (£800 to £400) for their World Cup warm-up games, as per a contractual agreement (men get £25K/game 🤮) Understand players hoped the RFU would reinstate full fee but talks with RPA stalled https://t.co/KsC09MC2fv— Fi Tomas (@fi_tomas_) September 7, 2022
Support Transgender Women
There are currently no registered trans players in Wales.— Squidge Rugby (@SquidgeRugby) September 7, 2022
The fucking cowards won't even show the courtesy of tweeting the news for fear of the backlash to what is nothing other than a transphobic statement of exclusion. https://t.co/W2HMKrn1L1
If the WRU actually cared about women they'd organise a mass investigation about the sexist language and abuse within the organisation. Instead they join a witch hunt against a vulnerable minority whilst refusing to address any issues that actually plague the women's game. https://t.co/GzhFdP4fnr— Benjamin Greg-ennui (@BabysGotTheBens) September 7, 2022
A leading researcher who was part of a World Rugby transgender forum in 2020 has said she would serve as an expert witness to Julie Curtiss if her legal action against the RFU over its trans women ban ends up in court. More here: https://t.co/RBmpB1ebas— Fi Tomas (@fi_tomas_) September 7, 2022
Brain Injury Crisis
It needn’t be doom and gloom.— Progressive Rugby (@ProgressiveRug) September 12, 2022
Look after the players, err always on the side of caution and manage players’ workloads so their bodies and brains can heal.
It can be a great season.https://t.co/IbHOjtjopA
The Rugby World Cup Sevens just kept on delivering— Rugby World Cup 7s 2022 (@WorldRugby7s) September 11, 2022
Day three was when the medals were decided and the action did not disappoint!
Check out the highlights from a day full of twists and turns#RWC7s | #HereToSevens
Brain Injury Crisis