Welcome to the top women’s rugby news in under 60 seconds for Sep 19-25. We learned the last squads ahead of the 2021 Rugby World Cup with announcements from South Africa, Italy, Wales and England. Also, the Black Ferns beat Japan 95-12 while Canada defeated Fiji 24-7.
This closes out all of the warmup matches and the RWC begins October 7 with South Africa versus France, Fiji versus England and the headliner is Australia vs New Zealand. We’re hearing that you can watch matches in the USA on Peacock but we’re still awaiting confirmation. We’ll be watching when possible…as others have noted the viewing times are horrific! We will also be on the ground for a week and a half starting October 20th!
In domestic XVs news, Majadahonda became the first Iberdrola Super Cup Champion after defeating the Crocodiles 36-12, Nelson leads the Welsh Admiral Premiership, Old Belvedere is on top of Ireland’s Energia AIL, Stirling County remains on top of Scotland’s Tennent’s Premiership and Worcester leads the Allianz Cup.
We close out the week with 27 features and 9 media.
We need you! Become a supporter of our site at https://www.patreon.com/yscrugby.
tl;dr: Your Women’s Rugby in 60 secs for Sep 19-25 saw the last RWC squad announcements from South Africa, Italy, Wales and England while the Black Ferns beat Japan 95-12 and Canada defeated Fiji 24-7.
60 Second Video Update
Your #wrugby News in under 60 seconds for Sep 19-25 saw the last RWC squad announcements from South Africa, Italy, Wales and England while the Black Ferns beat Japan 95-12 and Canada defeated Fiji 24-7. Watch our video & read the entire update using the link in our bio! #womensrugby #wrugby #rugbyunion♬ original sound - YSCRugby
Featured Women’s Rugby Stories
Teams are en route to New Zealand for the 2021 Rugby World Cup and we’re loving all the travel photos! Check out players getting their caps, wearing their #1s and more.
We also have the last squads for the RWC from South Africa, Italy, Wales and England.
Nolusindiso Booi captains the side and returns for her third RWC, alongside Zenay Jordaan, who also played in the 2010 and 2014 tournaments. Tayla Kinsey and Asithandile Ntoyanto will play in their second tournaments, having represented South Africa in the 2014 showpiece in England.
Elisa Giordano has been named captain after Manuela Furlan was injured in a warmup match against France. Furlan has received a clean bill from their medical staff and will travel to the event. Other standouts include vice captains Melissa Betton and Michelle Sillari, and Sara Barattin who has 107 caps and was the captain of 2017 RWC.
Siwan Lillicrap leads her side as captain with Hannah Jones named as vice-captain. Three players – Sioned Harries, Elinor Snowsill and Caryl Thomas – are set to participate in their fourth world cups.
All players participate in the Allianz Premier and do not play in Wales.
Sarah Hunter captains her squad along with six players who were part of the 2014 World Cup winning squad. 19 members could end up making their debut throughout the tournament.
Top Women’s Rugby Stories
- Black Ferns played Japan for the first time and beat them soundly 95-12
- Fiji had their first home test match but lost to Canada 24-7
- CR Majadahonda has become the first Iberdrola Super Cup Champion after defeating Cocodrilas 36-12
- Nelson leads the Welsh Admiral Premiership but is pursued by Llandaff and Pontyclun
- Old Belvedere is on top of Ireland’s Energia AIL but is chased by Galwegians, Railway Union and Blackrock
- Stirling County holds a two point lead over Watsonian and four over Heriot’s Blues and Cartha Queens Park in Scotland’s Tennent’s Premiership
- Worcester may have owner problems but they are leading the Allianz Cup with Exeter and Gloucester-Hartpury trying to catch up
Women’s Rugby Features
- The story of the first women’s Rugby World Cup: Liquor-selling Soviets and a winning Welshman
- Jenilee Limada describes herself as a “laid-back leader” but says the WISH Women in High Performance Pathway programme is helping her to have difficult conversations
- England women to fly to World Cup in New Zealand on Emirates economy – not official flight partner British Airways
- Ada Milby, Nahid Biyarjomandi, Karina Soerjanatamihardja and Gorata Kgathi led by example as the Malaysia Rugby Union hosted a World Rugby ACTIVATE and Training and Education Superweek
- The 1994 Rugby World Cup was initially due to be played in the Netherlands, but with just weeks to go, there was a change of plan
- Watsonian’s Charlotte Harris chats about rugby and life in the Tennent’s Premiership
- England’s Laura Keates determined to make up for lost time at Rugby World Cup
- England’s Louis Deacon was speaking as a coach on Tuesday afternoon, but he knows just how it feels to be a player when World Cup squad selection is the only thing running through your mind
- Gauteng Women Rugby Institute faces closure over lack of funds
- Queens of Rugby Union – former Black Fern
captain Fiao’o Fa’amausil is featured by Coconet TV
- Suzanne McFadden talks about putting women’s rugby on the world stage
- Amy Turner takes the Harlequins into a new era
- New Zealand’s Maggie Cogger-Orr set to officiate opening game of Rugby World Cup 2021
- USA’s Kate Zachary tells of how her team has built towards the Rugby World Cup and their hopes
- England’s Shaunagh Brown shares why she thought World Cup selection seemed unlikely
- Former Southern Humboldt resident, Evelyn Ashenbrucker has earned a spot on Team USA for the Rugby World Cup
- Rugby World Cup 2021 has today launched a movement to unite rugby fans to twirl poi in support of the wāhine toa who will be competing during the tournament
- Libbie Janse van Rensburg is out to inspire Bok Women to RWC glory
- ‘I didn’t know I could play rugby’: How an email set Em Chancellor on a path to the World Cup
- Canada ready for World Cup after win over Fiji
- Accidental coach Katie Fitzhenry relishing opportunity provided by WISH programme
- England’s Leanne Infante embracing leading role
- Wales Women will not fly business class to World Cup as WRU aims to address inequalities
- Scotland’s Helen Nelson shares her rugby journey
- For Maëlle Filopon, rugby has always been a religion, but one key moment confirmed the centre belonged in the rugby family
- World Rugby refuses to review trans player ban despite risk of legal action
- Damian Hopley: Star players must have more of a say in the game
Women’s Rugby Media
- MLR Weekly talks with Naya Tapper along with a few other guests
- Lynne Cantwell, Women’s High-Performance Manager for South African Rugby speaks to TritonLake Perform on how to create the optimal high-performance environment
- From changing how people view women’s rugby, to qualifying for #RWC2021. The Fijiana are on an historic journey
- Grassroots Pod kicks off Season 2 with a bang!
- Jess Hayden is on Times Sport talking About the Red Roses World Cup squad, controversial calls and promotion guidelines
- USA Rugby Women’s Head Coach, Rob Cain, Captain Kate Zachary, YSCRugby’s Wendy Young joined us to talk #RWC2021, USA Squad, Premier 15s, WPL Rugby and more
- Go behind the scenes as the World Cup match official squad put their physical and technical skills to the test ahead of #RWC2021
- New #RugbyUnionWeekly pod is out and they’re talking all things RWC
- Wing Lowri Norkett says she hopes her late sister Elli would be proud of her after being named in Wales’ squad for the World Cup in New Zealand
C'est le départ pour nos Bleues du #XVdeFrance !— France Rugby (@FranceRugby) September 22, 2022
Les joueuses sont parties aujourd'hui vers la Nouvelle-Zélande pour la Coupe du Monde 🇫🇷 #RWC21
Rendez-vous le 08 octobre pour leur 1er match face à l'Afrique du Sud 💪
🇿🇦 Your #WomenBoks squad for the @rugbyworldcup in New Zealand— Springbok Women (@WomenBoks) September 21, 2022
3️⃣rd tournament appearances for Nolusindiso Booi and Zenay Jordaan
🗣️ "Congratulations to every player, but also to their families and loved ones"
🔗 https://t.co/gmS78cAJi8#TogetherMovingForward pic.twitter.com/hnhmaeuwG9
🔵 #Italdonne— Italrugby (@Federugby) September 21, 2022
Annunciate le 3⃣2⃣ Azzurre convocate per la @rugbyworldcup 2021 ➡ https://t.co/SNvmmQH1W7
Elisa #Giordano guiderà la squadra in Nuova Zelanda #RWC2021 #insieme #rugbypassioneitaliana pic.twitter.com/kYxsak657x
The @WelshRugbyUnion have named their 32-player #RWC2021 squad, all of whom ply their club trade in the @Premier15s.— Nick Heath (@nickheathsport) September 21, 2022
- Lillicrap captain, Hannah Jones vice
- 4th RWC for Harries, Snowsill & Thomas
- Lowri Norkett in, her late sister played in 2014 pic.twitter.com/cr25DGvqdo
FULL-TIME 🇨🇦🇫🇯— Rugby Canada (@RugbyCanada) September 23, 2022
Tyson Beukeboom scores the final try of the game in her 50th test match to secure the 24-07 win for Canada over Fiji 👏
NEXT STOP ➡️ New Zealand!#RugbyCA | @nfp pic.twitter.com/FW9d4vUG1S
There were bonus point wins for new leaders @OldBelvoWomen , @GalwegiansWomen & @RFCRailwayUnion while @ULBOHSWOMENS won a cracking contest with @WicklowRFC who threatened to upset the former champions. #EnergiaAIL #NothingLikeIt https://t.co/PhUwbm1RVW pic.twitter.com/hadiIl0WtF— Irish Rugby (@IrishRugby) September 24, 2022
At the top of the women's Tennent's Premiership @StirlingCounty now lead the way after a 44-5 bonus point win over @CarthaQPWomen who are fourth now while @HeriotsRugby (3) secured a late 17-12 win over @watsonianwrugby (2)— Gary Heatly (@G_HMedia) September 24, 2022
They've done it again 🤯@WorcsWarriorsW back up last week's win against Harlequins with a victory on the road at the home of the reigning Allianz Cup champions, @ExeChiefsWomen.— Allianz Premier 15s (@Premier15s) September 24, 2022
Some start, Warriors 🔥#Premier15s pic.twitter.com/3pyu6Qv1lE
"The Soviet Union team arrived penniless, as they were not allowed to take money out of their country. They had a coach with them — rumoured to be a KGB agent due to his lack of rugby knowledge — and as much liquor as they could fit in their suitcases" https://t.co/m4MEr052ka— Times Sport (@TimesSport) September 25, 2022
England men flew by charter with official partner BA to the 2019 WC in Japan, had a send off & fed high-protein snacks.— Fi Tomas (@fi_tomas_) September 23, 2022
Tonight England women fly to NZ (not with BA) in economy class & have been told not to post about the journey on social media 🙃 https://t.co/pZA9AfBbKV
The 1994 Rugby World Cup was initially due to be played in the Netherlands, but with just weeks to go, there was a change of plan!— World Rugby Museum (@wrugbymuseum) September 22, 2022
Find out what happened in today's blog ➡️ https://t.co/BZj8HejSs8#TBT
📷 England team, 1994 RWC winners pic.twitter.com/qaOX5etRo5
Charlotte Harris chats about rugby and life in the Premiership.— Watsonian FC (@WATSONIANFC) September 22, 2022
"A big role model for me is Rachel Law and it was great to work closely with her"
Read more here:📖https://t.co/r4ymg7DrKy#Watsonians #ExCordeCaritas #WomensRugby@G_HMedia @rugbypeoplenet pic.twitter.com/7pS0olj29p
"It definitely makes it all the more special getting into the squad and just being part of it again."— Martyn Thomas (@MCThomasSport) September 22, 2022
I spoke to @KeatesyL about making the England RWC 2021 squad following an injury-disrupted five years. https://t.co/aXQd3eHRRo
🗣️ "You genuinely believe you should be going and that is the hard bit about all of this."@loudeacs knows what it is like to miss out on a World Cup and he explains how difficult it was to omit some big names from the Red Roses squad for #RWC2021.https://t.co/3rqI5VYz32 pic.twitter.com/3OzyTTSBAw— Talking Rugby Union (@TalkRugbyUnion) September 21, 2022
Gauteng Women Rugby Institute faces closure over lack of funds https://t.co/OggXgtJtVx— SA Breaking News (@SABreakingNews) September 21, 2022
As the @rugbyworldcup edges closer to kicking off right here in Aotearoa and we celebrate ‘Women in Rugby’ month, take a look at one of the Queens of Rugby Union - former @BlackFerns captain Fiao’o Fa’amausili 🏉https://t.co/efwYIfhYt2— The Coconet (@TheCoconetTV) September 20, 2022
Emily Chancellor loved watching rugby, but didn't know she could play it. That was until she read an email ... and a few years on she's off to the World Cup with @WallaroosRugby.— ESPN Scrum (@espnscrum) September 23, 2022
Via @BrittMitchell11 https://t.co/XZsDwbhCUB
"When I was younger, going to a World Cup was not something I envisioned in my future."— BBC Sport Kent (@BBCKentSport) September 21, 2022
🏉 Medway's @ShaunaghBrown in her latest @BBCSport column on being selected in @EnglandRugby's World Cup squad. #RedRoses #bbcrugby https://t.co/KaZqsgHpX0
New Zealand is producing some brilliant female rugby players, and the game is gaining traction - but it still lags a long way behind the men's.— The Detail (@TheDetailNZ) September 20, 2022
Ahead of the Rugby World Cup, Sharon Brettkelly talks to @NewsroomNZ's LockerRoom editor @suzemcfadden. https://t.co/TwjS5HKoDL
Leanne Infante has emerged a vital player for England.— Scrumqueens - Women’s Rugby (@ScrumQueens) September 25, 2022
We speak to the scrumhalf about brutal training sessions, being considered an "annoying" 9 to play against, a physical World Cup pool & the challenge of being away from home for so long.
✍️ https://t.co/zFyOjES1wC pic.twitter.com/7M8YOQ11nF
Wales Women will not fly business class to World Cup as WRU aims to address inequalities - https://t.co/57kYR8dGWi— Welsh Women's Rugby🏴 (@waleswomenrugby) September 23, 2022
.@hnelly12: "To go from being a fresher who had no idea what I was doing to being captain and president in my final year was a really cool experience. I owe a lot to @EdinburghUni for that."@Scotlandteam | #TikTokW6N— TikTok Women's Six Nations (@Womens6Nations) September 23, 2022
Support Trans Women
“because of the size, force and power-producing advantages conferred by testosterone during puberty and adolescence, and the resultant player welfare risks this creates”. All I’m asking the RFU to do is show me the science you used. Is that so unreasonable?https://t.co/oDejJtnoQK— Julie Anne 🏳️⚧️ (@tigergirl_70) September 20, 2022
Brain Injury Crisis
“Anything to do with protecting players’ welfare should be mandated, not dealt with in terms of guidance.”— Progressive Rugby (@ProgressiveRug) September 25, 2022
Former @theRPA chief executive Damian Hopley says only having ‘guidelines’ on contract training and player match limits is not acceptable.https://t.co/c7B7StTq6o
MLR Weekly:— Rugby Wrap Up (@RugbyWrapUp) September 23, 2022
-@NOLAGoldRugby Owner Tim Falcon
-@USARugby Sensation @NayaTapper
-@RugbyMorning Coffee Break
-More @USMLR content with via @RugbyWrapUp with @Matt_McCarthy00
LINK: https://t.co/bnIokRFRY6 #GoogleAlerts #RugbyWrapUp #PR7s #WomensRugby #MLR2022 #Rugby #Womens7s
Hear from Lynne Cantwell, Women’s High-Performance Manager for South African Rugby, as she speaks to TritonLake Perform on how to create the optimal high-performance environment.#irishrugby@irishrugby @worldrugby @worldrugby7s @rugbyeurope@cantwelll pic.twitter.com/N9vjinjKfw— TritonLake (@TritonLake) September 21, 2022
"When we first took the stages to go and play out in the stadiums, you just hear people shouting, 'Go home', Go and wash dishes'"— Rugby World Cup (@rugbyworldcup) September 20, 2022
From changing how people view women's rugby, to qualifying for #RWC2021. The Fijiana are on an historic journey#FijiLetsPlay | Ep 1⃣ 📆 21.09.22 pic.twitter.com/ysXaK5tFm4
Couldn't join us last night? You missed a great show! USA Rugby Women's Head Coach, Rob Cain, Captain @katezack28 and @yscrugby's Wendy Young joined us to talk #RWC21, USA Squad, @Premier15s, @WPLRugby and much more! Lots of laughs to go around. @Rc1Beast pic.twitter.com/HNstGurYxc— Eagles Overseas (@EaglesOverseas) September 23, 2022
🗣️"I hoped that women's rugby would ride the wave of women's football in England but their only sociable kick-off time is 8am. The rest are in the middle of the night so we won't be engaging new audiences"— Times Sport (@TimesSport) September 21, 2022
- Jess Hayden on the World Cup.
Listen here: https://t.co/kqvBLEQt2F
Episode 1 of Season 2 is go! We discuss the fabulous GrassRoots Festival with @ExeterSaracens, Launceston women, @FionaBrunt, @victoriahrush + @stefanianella1. Chez gets lost in Wales and we meet the lovely @Nic02571289. https://t.co/eP6RxDwdXv pic.twitter.com/hyg2YRVpwY— GrassRoots Women's Rugby Pod (@gr_rugbypod) September 19, 2022
It’s not just the players who put in the training 💪— Rugby World Cup (@rugbyworldcup) September 22, 2022
Go behind the scenes as the World Cup match official squad put their physical and technical skills to the test ahead of #RWC2021 #FinalWhistle pic.twitter.com/9QVWTGB3eS
'I was always in awe of what she achieved' ❤️— BBC Sport Wales (@BBCSportWales) September 22, 2022
Wing Lowri Norkett says she hopes her late sister Elli would be proud of her after being named in Wales' squad for the World Cup in New Zealand 🏴
Watch the interview ⤵️