Welcome to the top women’s rugby news in under 60 seconds for Dec 12-18. Hong Kong swept their series against Kazakhstan and Scotland announced professional contracts for 28 players.
In more XVs news, France and South Africa announce head coach departures after the Rugby World Cup and Italy is hosting a training camp ahead of the 2023 TikTok Six Nations.
In domestic XVs news, Blackrock won their first Energia AIL title since 2008 after they defeated Railway Union 27-7, the Avengers are the new Uganda Cup Champions after defeating Thunderbirds in a tight 18-16 match, and Gloucester-Hartpury continues to lead Allianz Premier.
In 7s news, PR7s announced a significant expansion for next year where they will see 16 teams representing eight regional markets and a new competitive format for 2023.
We close out the week with 16 features and 7 media.
We need you! Become a supporter of our site at https://www.patreon.com/yscrugby.
tl;dr: Women’s Rugby in 60 secs for Dec 12-18 saw Hong Kong sweep their series against Kazakhstan and Scotland goes professional with 28 contracted players.
60 Second Video Update
Your #wrugby News in under 60 seconds for Dec 12-18 saw Hong Kong sweep their series against Kazakhstan and Scotland goes professional with 28 contracted players. Watch our video & read the entire update using the link in our bio! #womensrugby #wrugby #rugbyunion♬ original sound - YSCRugby
Top Women’s Rugby Stories
- In the second matchup between Hong Kong and Kazakhstan the visitors were up 12-0 at the half but Hong Kong came roaring back to win 14-12
- With that win, Hong Kong moved up four places in the World Rugby Rankings to 15th, their highest ranking ever
- Scotland announced professional contracts for 28 players; contracts run from Dec 2022 to Nov 2023
- Thomas Darracq has left France as head coach for family reasons, current assistants David Ortiz and former French captain Gaëlle Mignothave been appointed joint head coaches of the team
- South Africa’s Stanley Raubenheimer will not have his contract renewed when it expires at the end of the year after the SARU conducted a review post Rugby World Cup
- Italy called up 26 players for a camp as they prepare for the 2023 Six Nations
- Blackrock defeated Railway Union 27-7 to to win their first Energia AIL League Division title since 2008
- Avengers are the new Uganda Cup Champions after beating Thunderbirds 18-16
- Gloucester-Hartpury, Exeter Chiefs, The University of Worcester Warriors, and Bristol Bears all recorded wins in Round 5
- Gloucester-Hartpury remain on top with 24 points, Exeter has 20, Bristol with 15, Harlequins at 14 and Sale has 13
- The RFU announced a 10-year strategy to professionalize Allianz Premier
- EIGHT teams have been selected to compete in the revamped competition, Bristol, Ealing Trailfinders, Exeter, Gloucester-Hartpury, Harlequins, Leister Tigers, Loughborough Lightening and Saracens
- Bordeaux Stadium leads France’s Elite 1 with 10 points, Montpellier Herault has 8 points and Lons Section Paloise has 5 points
- Corteva Cocos Rugby is confirmed at the top of the Spain’s Iberdrola after its victory against Olímpico de Pozuelo
- Valsugana continues to lead Italy’s Excellence Championships with 24 points but is chased by Villorba and Color
- Ireland confirmed the fixtures for the 2022-23 Vodafone Interprovincial Championship and that all games will be broadcast on TG4 and BBC iPlayer
- Premier Rugby Sevens announced a significant expansion to 16 teams representing eight regional markets and new competitive format for 2023
Women’s Rugby Features
- Bryony Cleall struggled to afford rent when Wasps were put into administration
- Saracens share successes from their Center of Excellence program
- The Australian Women’s Sevens’ remarkable season has been capped off after being named Australian Institute of Sport Team of the Year
- Endicott women’s rugby reflects on winning national championship
- Driver admits causing crash death of Bridgwater rugby player Bethany Branson
- WRU comes to ‘amicable resolution’ with former women’s rugby manager who alleged sexual discrimination
- USA Eagle Kathryn Johnson announced her retirement from international test rugby
- Australia’s Liz Patu and Iliseva Batibasaga confirm retirement
- Gloucester-Hartpury is on the run of a lifetime in the Allianz Premier
- USA South Rugby Builds Pride at Mary Graham All Stars
- What the All Blacks can learn from the Black Ferns
- Scrum Queens looks at development, is it best from the bottom up or top down?
- Year-Long Rugby Programming Aids Midwest T-Birds in at Mary Graham All Stars
- World Rugby’s Laporte and club owner Altrad guilty of corruption
- Earlier this month French back rower Alexandre Lapandry spoke out about what he says is mistreatment by his Top 14 club
- “Every time a suspension is rescinded – as was the case this week for Leinster’s Cian Healy – fans are left confused and the main message is watered down.”
Women’s Rugby Media
- Watch the Energia AIL Highlights as Blackrock won
- Watch the full match as Hong Kong came back from a 12-0 deficit to win against Kazakhstan
- Gift talks about how USA 7s is loaded with talent and good things are ahead
- Wasps’ Liz Crake shares what it’s like to balance dentistry with rugby, and what it takes to step up and lead the club you love
- The Good, The Scaz And The Rugby is joined by Canada’s Sophie De Geode
- England’s Maro Itoje talks with Bloomberg Quicktake around how the culture around concussion has “shifted immeasurably”
- Scotland’s Jim Mallinder and Chloe Rollie talk on the day of the announcement that professional contracts had been awarded
Scenes in HK as @HongKongRugby women's turn around a 12-0 deficit to win with the last kick of the game 14-12 against Kazakhstan.— RugbyAsia247 (@RugbyAsia247) December 17, 2022
Game of momentum shifts & buckets of passion from both sides.
Hard luck to the visitors who were much improved and had total scrum dominance pic.twitter.com/B1fnYOYOCg
Scottish Rugby announces professional contracts for 28 players, as part of its continued investment into the women’s game.— Scottish Rugby (@Scotlandteam) December 15, 2022
Read more: https://t.co/WfbzfN1JR0 pic.twitter.com/YRJUjKta9o
SA Women’s rugby’s tumultuous year regarding its coaching structures continues after head coach of the 15s team Stanley Raubenheimer was shown the door. https://t.co/7Yvsg1NrIc— Daily Maverick (@dailymaverick) December 13, 2022
BLACKROCK COLLEGE ARE THE CHAMPIONS— Irish Rugby (@IrishRugby) December 17, 2022
A stunning second-half surge did the job for 'Rock to win the #EnergiaAIL Women's Division final. What a season, what a final.
There is absolutely #NothingLikeIt pic.twitter.com/medrcUicqg
8 Franchises— Premier Rugby Sevens (@prsevens) December 13, 2022
Read more about today’s announcement: https://t.co/5OTaSyH4Xf pic.twitter.com/WctkPWIpaj
The upstart Premier Rugby Sevens league is doubling in size for the 2023 season, adding seven teams, including new franchise in Northern California and Western Pennsylvania.https://t.co/8IThXFf3GV— Sportico (@Sportico) December 13, 2022
After winning the National Collegiate Rugby (NCR) championship, Endicott's women's rugby team reflected on their historic victory. #GoGulls #ThisisEndicotthttps://t.co/6kD5Dtxqil— Endicott College (@EndicottCollege) December 13, 2022
Driver admits causing crash death of popular rugby player Bethany Branson https://t.co/UXTg0chY2B— West Somerset Free Press (@WSFP_newsroom) December 12, 2022
RP: 'Have to be more themselves': What the ABs can learn from the Black Ferns https://t.co/ELnwm3iAcb— Jonny Van FugleMugle (@JVanFM) December 16, 2022
Columnist @Claire_GThomas gives six reasons why this could be @Glos_PuryWRFC 's year in the @Premier15s after witnessing their demolition of Saracens on Saturday. #Premier15s https://t.co/9hU6nNoEWl— RugbyPass (@RugbyPass) December 14, 2022
The Rugby Evangelist (and friends): Kathryn Johnson calls Time https://t.co/nf9kxQm2AW— I ain't always thirsty when I drink (@CurmudgeonlyLuv) December 9, 2022
Should you develop women's rugby from the top down (using elite teams to inspire) or from the bottom up (developing a strong grassroots to grow the game)? @RugbyAfrique seem to have chosen the former, and @sudamericarugby the latter. Who will be right? https://t.co/7RjYH9xemj— Scrumqueens - Women’s Rugby (@ScrumQueens) December 15, 2022
Brain Injury Crisis
Exceptionally kind words about Progressive Rugby from @GeoffParkes9 in @TheRoarSports— Progressive Rugby (@ProgressiveRug) December 12, 2022
“Every time a suspension is rescinded – as was the case this week for Leinster’s Cian Healy – fans are left confused and the main message is watered down.”https://t.co/P6gjRir3tL
USA Rugby women's 7s has a loaded team of talent. And anyone can get it.— GiftTime Rugby (@GifttimeRugby) December 14, 2022
Watch the full episode: https://t.co/gRFiUF1IOj#USARugby #CapeTown7s #Womensrugby #Rugby #Olympics #RWC7s pic.twitter.com/J2R6HRAAoF
Hear from @itschloerollie and Jim Mallinder, Director of High Performance, on the day of the announcement that professional contracts have been awarded to 28 players, as part of a continued investment into the women’s game.— Scottish Rugby (@Scotlandteam) December 15, 2022
Read more: https://t.co/WfbzfN1JR0 pic.twitter.com/SKrKaPa7KQ