Welcome to the Women’s Rugby Rundown for August 7-13! World Rugby has unveiled the forthcoming WXV fixtures, featuring six matches on the opening weekend, while the Chicago Lions conquered the 2023 USA Club 7s Rugby National Championships.
In more XVs news, Ireland’s Vodafone Interpros began with Connacht’s surprise win over Leinster, while Munster dominated against Ulster. In the Farah Palmer Cup Round 5, Auckland surged forward, defending champions Canterbury struggled, and Wellington faced another loss to Bay of Plenty. The Bulls Daisies continued their South Africa Premier Division dominance, securing a 12th win and setting up semi-final matchups, while the Allianz Cup fixtures for 2023/24 were announced, and the Texas Rugby Union confirmed seven teams for the 2023 Mary Graham All Stars event, with room for more.
In more 7s news, the Asian sevens season is set to kick off with events in Nepal, Korea, Thailand, and more culminating in the Olympic Qualification tournament in Japan.
We close out the week with 13 features, 2 media and 2 rugby jobs.
We need you! Become a supporter of our site at https://www.patreon.com/yscrugby.
tl;dr: In the Women’s Rugby Rundown for August 7-13, our special guest introduces a week of excitement. World Rugby unveiled the forthcoming WXV fixtures, Chicago Lions triumphed in the 2023 USA Club 7s Championships, and across XVs, Ireland’s Vodafone Interpros began, Farah Palmer Cup action showcased Auckland’s prowess, Bulls Daisies dominated in South Africa, while anticipation grows for the Asian sevens season, leading to the Olympic Qualification tournament in Japan.
Women’s Rugby Rundown Video Update
In the Women’s Rugby Rundown for August 7-13, our intro welcomes a special guest! World Rugby revealed the upcoming WXV fixtures, featuring six matches on the opening weekend, and the Chicago Lions emerged victorious at the 2023 USA Club 7s Championships. In the world of XVs, Ireland's Vodafone Interpros kicked off, the Farah Palmer Cup showcased Auckland's impressive performance, while defending champions Canterbury faced challenges, and the Bulls Daisies maintained their dominant stance in South Africa. Additionally, the Allianz Cup fixtures were unveiled, the Texas Rugby Union confirmed participating teams for the Mary Graham All Stars event, and excitement builds for the upcoming Asian sevens season, culminating in the Olympic Qualification tournament held in Japan. Watch our video & read the entire update using the link in our bio! #wrugby #rugbyrundown #rugby #rugbyunion #womensrugby♬ original sound - YSCRugby
Can’t watch on TikTok? Watch on Youtube or any of our other social media channels.
Women’s Rugby Rundown News
- World Rugby released the WXV fixtures and matchups [link]
- Scrum Queens explains the ‘cross-pool’ format for upcoming WXV matches [link]
- The hosting of WXV2 has the potential to boost women’s rugby in South Africa and contribute to challenging societal norms [link]
Premier & Club
- Ireland’s Vodafone Interpros kicked off this weekend with an upset win by Connacht over Leinster and Munster won big over Ulster [link]
- During Round 5 of the Farah Palmer Cup, Auckland continued to build their momentum, defending champions Canterbury struggled against Hawke’s Bay, and Wellington faced another defeat, this time against Bay of Plenty [link]
- The Bulls Daisies continued their dominance in South Africa’s Premier Division, securing a 12th win with a 105-0 victory, setting up semi-final matchups against Border Ladies and Boland Dames, while DHL Western Province and Boland Dames also secured semi-final spots [link]
- The WPL returned from their break which saw wins for New York, All Blues and Twin Cities [link]
- The fixtures for the 2023/24 Allianz Cup campaign have been announced [link]
- The Texas Rugby Union announced that there are seven teams confirmed for the 2023 Mary Graham All Stars and there is room for more! [link]
- The Asian sevens season is set to kick off with events in Nepal, Korea, Thailand, and culminating in the Olympic Qualification tournament in Japan [link]
- The Chicago Lions Women and NAV Men conquered the 2023 USA Club 7s Rugby National Championships [link]
Women’s Rugby Rundown Features
- Katelyn Vaha’akolo has represented New Zealand in both league and rugby but she had to pull herself out of a dark place to get there… [link]
- Scrum Queens shared a photo archive from France with matches going back to 1994! [link]
- From decline to determination: Romania’s women’s rugby resurgence [link]
- From rookie coach to rugby Executive: Brandon Sparks’ journey through books [link]
- Cassie Siataga leading the way for Tasman [link]
- Rikki Swannell spoke to RugbyPass about her path into commentary, prepping for RWC 2023 and her soon-to-be realized career highlight of covering the All Blacks [link]
- Susie Appleby shared how Exeter will defend their Allianz Cup title in the PWR [link]
- Spain’s Director of Rugby José Antonio Barrio is positive about their future [link]
- Adam Julien takes a look at the talent on show in the opening rounds of the Farah Palmer Cup [link]
- Grace Booker’s return from injury took 476 days [link]
- We featured Monique Coffey in our first ‘Pioneers of the Pitch’ Series [link]
- IMAGE spoke to Eve Higgins about everything from her earliest sporting memories to her greatest goals and proudest achievements [link]
- Chicago NS shares how navigating 7s and the WPL is a challenge but worth it [link]
Women’s Rugby Rundown Media
- The Telegraph Women’s Sport podcast covered periods and the impact on athletes in their latest episode [link]
- Zambia players and administrators talk about the past, present, and future of women’s rugby [link]