Welcome to the top women’s rugby news in under 60 seconds for Mar 14-20. We’re previewing the 2022 TikTok Women’s Six Nations Tournament which kicks off this weekend. Scotland hosts England, Ireland faces off against Wales and France will see Italy. England is the heavy favorites going after their 13th overall title but will we see a new champion this year?
In more XVs news, Canada announced a temporary head coaching change where Kevin Rouet will take the reins until after the 2021 Rugby World Cup, Railway clinched the Energia AIL Cup title while Blackrock took home the Plate Final, Chiefs Manawa are the first ever Sky Super Rugby Aupiki Champions, Mwamba are the inaugural Kenya Cup winners and the Black Pearls ended their undefeated season as Uganda League Champions.
We also take a look at Fijiana Drua’s dominant run in the Super W but note that they will face second place Waratahs on April 1 and Brazil announced a first of its kind XVs tournament for their club sides.
We close out the week with 11 features and 8 media.
We need you! Become a supporter of our site at https://www.patreon.com/yscrugby.
tl;dr: Women’s Rugby in 60 secs for Mar 14-20 previews the 2022 TikTok Women’s Six Nations Tournament where England is vying for their 13th overall title and we look closer at all the domestic competitions around the world.
60 Second Video Update
Featured Women’s Rugby Stories
We’re less than a week away from the TikTok Women’s Six Nations! Scotland hosts England, Ireland faces off against Wales and France sees Italy on the opening weekend. England is chasing their 13th overall title.
We know all the tournament squads but we’ll be looking out for match day squads as we get closer to the weekend.
Top Women’s Rugby Stories
- Canada announced that Kevin Rouet will replace Sandro Fiorino after four years as head coach
- Rouet has only signed on to take the squad through the 2021 Rugby World Cup…
- We’re learning more about departures in Spain, Mariola Rus has resigned as she originally believed in the “change project, in two years there has been none.”
- For this reason and for refusing to be “a mere quota of parity in the federation’s directive”, as he stated, Rus has had no other way “than to resign after each and every one of his proposals for” improvement” and of having been excluded from assemblies and executive committees
- 22 USA based Women’s Eagles pool players will gather in Colorado later this month for a second spring assembly under Head Coach Rob Cain
- The camp will culminate in a fixture against a WPL Selects squad on March 26th at Colorado School of Mines in Golden, CO at 12pm MT
- Springbok Women’s coach Stanley Raubenheimer invited two new uncapped players who were part of the girls rugby development pathways, Byrhandre Dolf and Luchell Hanekom, to his training squad of 31 players for their next camp
- Railway clinched the double this weekend when they took home the Energia AIL Cup over UL Bohemian 51-12
- Blackrock took home the Plate Final over Cooke 24-12
- Chiefs Manawa made history as the first Sky Super Rugby Aupiki Champs after they defeated the Blues 35-0
- Mwamba are the inaugural Women’s Kenya Cup winners after defeating Impala Saracens 15-11
- The match was officiated a crew of four match officials, another first!
- Black Pearls ended their undefeated season as Uganda League Champions
- Fijiana Drua continue their dominate run in Super W as they dispatched Western Force 45-17 and will face second place Waratahs on April 1
- Brazil began their first ever XVs competition called the Regional Teams Championship this past weekend, it will run until June 26 and brings 8 teams together
- USA Rugby has refocused their hopes of hosting a Rugby World Cup on their soil to Men’s 2031 and Women’s 2033
- 2025 in England…so who will host in 2029?
- An exhibition celebrating the history of women’s Rugby World Cups launched at the World Rugby Museum based at Twickenham Stadium this past weekend
Women’s Rugby Features
- “Every time I think of rugby, I think of her.” Those were the emotional words of Lowri Norkett after she emulated her sister Elli by playing for Wales against USA Falcons on Saturday
- Lancashire’s president Gill Burns has led quite the rugby life, from being barred – along with the dogs – from the main bar, she helped create women’s rugby’s first northern powerhouse
- New Zealand’s Les Elder and Alice Soper shared their perspectives around a growing gender revolution in NZL rugby
- While Super Rugby Aupiki has got off the ground in trying circumstances, players left out of pocket and the effects of long Covid have rugby columnist Alice Soper concerned
- PR 7s offers big opportunities for USA’s Naya Tapper
- When she’s not bringing the firepower with Harlequins or Scotland Rugby, Jade Konkel is fighting the blaze with the London Fire Brigade – and she wouldn’t change it for the world
- Wales captain Siwan Lillicrap hopeful of making Six Nations opener after Covid
- The Rugby Hive welcomes Maxine O’Leary to the Hive as our social media expert
- Black Ferns Sevens captain Sarah Hirini has become the third woman to appear on the cover of the New Zealand Rugby Almanack
- Scotland are a team on the rise and the 2022 TikTok Women’s Six Nations is the perfect chance for them to showcase just how far they have come
Women’s Rugby Media
- Japan’s Noriko Taniguchi and Ai Hirayama talk to us about their journey to the 2021 Rugby World Cup
- Chiefs Manawa celebrate their title in Sky Super Rugby Aupiki gatorade style
- From primary school minis to club rugby and now Scottish Rugby’s U18 Futures Pathway, Alex Stewart shares her rugby story so far
- Scotland’s Sarah Ann Bonar speaks about rugby values and the togetherness of the Scotland squad ahead of this year’s Six Nations
- Sue Anstiss MBE interviewed Former England Rugby captain at 15s & 7s Sue Day where she share’s personal learnings from her careers on and off the pitch as we explore professionalism in the women’s game, what needs to change to get more women working in sport and the powerful role of male allies
- World Rugby’s next #YouthUnstoppables, is 19-year-old Johanna
- Wales captain Siwan Lillicrap says Elli Norkett would have been incredibly proud of her sister Lowri being included in the Six Nations squad
🏆 Who will be lifting the #TikTokW6N trophy at the end of the tournament— TikTok Women's Six Nations (@Womens6Nations) March 16, 2022
🏴 @WelshRugbyUnion pic.twitter.com/vAL3BOJj3W
🚨 Le groupe pour le Tournoi des #SixNations Féminin !— France Rugby (@FranceRugby) March 14, 2022
35 Bleues ont été sélectionné par le staff afin de rejoindre Marcoussis jeudi prochain et préparer le TikTok @Womens6Nations qui débutera dimanche 27 mars à Grenoble contre 🇮🇹 l'Italie !
Allez les Bleues 🇫🇷🤩#NeFaisonsXV pic.twitter.com/0G5hQTIhFA
Rugby Canada has confirmed a change to the Senior Women’s 15s setup which will see Kevin Rouet take the reigns as Head Coach. He replaces Sandro Fiorino who brings an end to an 11-year stint with the organization.— Rugby Canada (@RugbyCanada) March 15, 2022
Read more: ⁰https://t.co/ASCfk3v3Az#RugbyCA pic.twitter.com/YYfRvCTcOo
NEWS | Excited to assemble in the US and compete ahead of the 2022 @wplrugby season.— USA Rugby (@USARugby) March 16, 2022
The grind doesn't stop for our Women's Falcons.— USA Rugby (@USARugby) March 18, 2022
🔜 USA Falcons vs WPL Selects
🗓 March 26, 2022 | 12:00 PM MT pic.twitter.com/qpi8LDB8Ea
OH SWEET DOUBLE! 🏆— Railway Union RFC (@RFCRailwayUnion) March 20, 2022
What. a. season. 😍 #NothingLikeIt #PositiveEnergy #EnergiaAIL #allirelandleague #irishrugby #railwayunion #rugby #rugbylife #shouldertoshoulder #changethegame @IrishRugby @Energia7s pic.twitter.com/SwCLB4lK5d
𝘼𝙄𝙇 𝙋𝙇𝘼𝙏𝙀 𝙁𝙄𝙉𝘼𝙇— BlackrockWomensRugby (@RockWomensRugby) March 20, 2022
Rock 🆚 @CookeRFCWomen
And the season ends for our 1st XVs with some silverware! Thanks to @CookeRFCWomen for the physical game and thanks to @StMarysRFC for the fantastic facilities! #RockRugby pic.twitter.com/TT5PIgKwU7
Starting more or less now, in three Brazilian cities, Brazil's first official 15s championship. 9 regional teams, 500 players including adult and U21 teams. Regional rounds leading to semi-finals on 11 June and a final on 25 June. @brasilrugby https://t.co/fylADW8Gef— Scrumqueens - Women’s Rugby (@ScrumQueens) March 19, 2022
The @wrugbymuseum's new exhibition, 'The Rugby World Cup: In Her Own Words', is officially open 🏉— Twickenham Stadium (@Twickenhamstad) March 18, 2022
Learn about the history of the sport, and some of the key moments from the eight tournaments to date 🏆
Learn more ➡️ https://t.co/qa2fBwVbPZ
Book now ➡️ https://t.co/kYpx1gXdRP pic.twitter.com/E9jQyJH5yl
"I just hope I'm even a quarter of the player she was, and I hope I can live in her footsteps and carry on the Norkett name." 🏉— BBC Sport Wales (@BBCSportWales) March 14, 2022
🏉 Lancashire’s president has led quite the rugby life, from being barred – along with the dogs – from the main bar, she helped create women’s rugby’s first northern powerhouse.— Rugby Journal (@JournalRugby) March 15, 2022
Read @Waterloonumber8 story in issue 17. Available via https://t.co/1FGv7xvQnH pic.twitter.com/oXxxsMuLw1
So grateful to Les Elder, @FarahPalmer4 and @alicesoapbox for their perspectives for this one.— Pete McKenzie (@PeterTMcKenzie) March 18, 2022
'For decades, rugby has occupied an almost religious position in New Zealand. That is particularly true for men ... But a gender revolution is brewing.'https://t.co/eoLV3e8tnp
While Super Rugby Aupiki has got off the ground in trying circumstances, players left out of pocket and the effects of long Covid have rugby columnist Alice Soper concerned. @alicesoapbox #SuperRugbyAupiki https://t.co/7qisBCFrYb— Suzanne McFadden (@suzemcfadden) March 18, 2022
Wales captain Siwan Lillicrap is hopeful she will be fit for the opening Six Nations game in Ireland after testing positive for Covid-19 🏉— BBC Sport Wales (@BBCSportWales) March 17, 2022
I quite simply can’t imagine clocking off a night shift and heading straight to a training session…🤯— Eleanor (@eleanorlee_) March 18, 2022
But somehow the brilliant @JadeKonkel makes it look easy.
I spoke to Jade for @glorious_sport about her ridiculously impressive double life 👇🏉https://t.co/Tdt4jtZeLh pic.twitter.com/hj12VFNPUi
"I’m looking forward to playing & there being multiple locations & tournaments, building on what they put together last year." - @Nayatapper @ThePatClifton looks at opportunities PR7s athletes like Naya & @LTago45 gain in the league, with an eye on '22https://t.co/PrY1QvHFI4 pic.twitter.com/C5FL7lrsro— Premier Rugby Sevens (@prsevens) March 18, 2022
The Rugby Hive is pleased to announce our team is growing with the addition of social media expert Maxine O'Leary A Concordia student and rugby player. You could say we're buzzing! 🐝 Welcome Maxine!— Rugby Hive Podcast (@rugbyhive) March 15, 2022
📣Read the full release here:https://t.co/XrWR4BDuIL
🤩 @Sgoss10 has become the third woman to appear on the cover of the Rugby Almanac.— Black Ferns (@BlackFerns) March 16, 2022
Who were the other two?
Sakura Fifteen members, Noriko Taniguchi and Ai Hirayama talk to us about their journey to #RWC2021 🔥— Japan Rugby (@JRFURugby) March 15, 2022
Representing Asia is a tough job, but the team are certainly up for the task 😉#Unstoppable | #SakuraWave pic.twitter.com/tFyspjzIUP
From primary school minis to club rugby and now Scottish Rugby’s U18 Futures Pathway, Alex Stewart shares her rugby story so far.#EveryonesGame— Scottish Rugby (@Scotlandteam) March 16, 2022
"Rugby changed me completely"— World Rugby (@WorldRugby) March 16, 2022
She began playing rugby at school and hasn't looked back since 🥰
Meet out next #YouthUnstoppables, 19-year-old Johanna.
📅➡️ 18.03.22, 12:30pm GMT
In partnership with @Mastercard | #WomenInRugby pic.twitter.com/31VcSJATue
Wales captain Siwan Lillicrap says Elli Norkett would have been incredibly proud of her sister Lowri being included in the Six Nations squad ❤️🏴🏉 pic.twitter.com/N9pFKB1ZRE— BBC Sport Wales (@BBCSportWales) March 17, 2022
I'm lucky enough to work with many brilliant women across sport, but there are few I hold in higher regard than Sue Day.— Sue Anstiss MBE (@sueanstiss) March 15, 2022
Former England Rugby captain at 15s & 7s, Sue is now CFO & COO at the RFU and a founding Trustee of the Women's Sport Trust.