Welcome to the Women’s Rugby Rundown for July 24-30. Ireland revealed the appointment of former England coach Scott Bemand as Head Coach, while Centro-Oeste secured their second BR XVs Championship victory.
In other XVs updates, South Africa has gathered in Stellenbosch as they gear up for the WXV Tier 2 tournament. Meanwhile, South Africa’s Premier Division is inching closer to the postseason with Bulls Daisies maintaining their dominant position and in the Farah Palmer Cup, Waikato and Canterbury remain at the forefront after three rounds.
In 7s news, Canada is set to host Australia, Japan, and Hong Kong in a mini-tournament before the RAN 7s Olympic Qualification tournament in mid-August. World Rugby acknowledges Ukraine’s European Trophy victory as a promising sign of a bright future for the team. Looking forward, all eyes are on the PR 7s Championship, which is scheduled to take place in Washington, D.C. on August 6.
We close out the week with 11 features, 7 media and 3 Rugby Jobs.
We need you! Become a supporter of our site at https://www.patreon.com/yscrugby.
tl;dr: In the Women’s Rugby Rundown for July 24-30 Ireland appointed Scott Bemand as Head Coach, Centro-Oeste won the BR XVs Championship again. South Africa gears up for WXV Tier 2, Bulls Daisies lead Premier Division. Waikato and Canterbury top the Farah Palmer Cup. Canada will host a 7s mini-tournament, Ukraine’s win celebrated, and PR 7s Championship in Washington, D.C., on August 6.
Women’s Rugby Rundown Update
In the Women’s Rugby Rundown for July 24-30 Ireland appointed Scott Bemand as Head Coach, Centro-Oeste won the BR XVs Championship again. South Africa gears up for WXV Tier 2, Bulls Daisies lead Premier Division. Waikato and Canterbury top the Farah Palmer Cup. Canada will host a 7s mini-tournament, Ukraine's win celebrated, and PR 7s Championship in Washington, D.C., on August 6. Watch our video & read the entire update using the link in our bio! #wrugby #rugbyrundown #rugby #rugbyunion #womensrugby♬ original sound - YSCRugby
Can’t watch on TikTok? Watch on Youtube or any of our other social media channels.
Women’s Rugby News
- Scott Bemand Appointed Ireland Women’s Team Head Coach [link]
- South Africa assembled in Stellenbosch in preparation of their WXV matches [link]
- The Canada U23s took home both matches of the “Battle at the Border” [link]
Premier & Club
- Centro-Oeste celebrates at home and is twice champion of the BR XV after defeating São Paulo Capital 18-15
- The third round of the Farah Palmer Cup was action-packed with Canterbury winning over Bay of Plenty, while Waikato won over Hawke’s Bay to maintain their lead in the standings [link]
- South Africa’s Premier Division only has two weeks left and Bulls Daisies are still at the top of the table while DHL Western Province, Border Ladies, Mastercard Golden Lions and Cell C Sharks look forward to making the semi-finals [link]
- Italy announces changes to their top competition with an expansion of teams and 2 groups [link]
- Canada is hosting Australia, Japan and Hong Kong on Vancouver Island for a summer showcase in preparation for Paris 2024 Qualification Event taking place at Starlight Stadium on August 19-20 [link]
- Ukraine’s 7s European Trophy success offers a glimpse of a bright future [link]
- The PR 7s Championship is set for August 6 in Washington D.C. with Locals vs Headliners and Loonies vs Experts [link]
Women’s Rugby Features
- Not entirely rugby but we’re hoping that women’s rugby can benefit from the changes Google is making in their Search tools [link]
- Seventy-nine young talents convened at USA Rugby’s Women’s U18 East and West Camps [link]
- Sara Cox on becoming the most-capped female match official [link]
- Rugby People gives their thoughts on the state of Scotland’s Women’s 7s [link]
- Peris Mukoko-Wanyaga wants the Kenya women’s rugby team to be given the same treatment as their male counterparts [link]
- Ffion Lewis shares about how endometriosis was a ‘reality check’ for her [link]
- Kahlia Awa seems determined on creating a lot of history very quickly [link]
- We featured Dr. Julia McCoy on the site before she will be induced into the 2023 US Rugby Hall of Fame [link]
- Elianne Sacher of Harvard recently competed at the European Championships with Israel [link]
- Fiji’s Veniana Lewarara defied the stereotypes and is now the captain of the Nasinu Club [link]
- This year Piper Duck became the youngest Wallaroos captain in history, but just seven years ago she had no clue rugby union existed, let alone that women could play [link]
Women’s Rugby Media
- Maggie Alphonsi’s new book ‘Winning the Fight’ is available for pre-order [link]
- This is WXV, a video from World Rugby [link]
- World Rugby has approved a trial of the Foul Play Review Official which commonly known as The Bunker [link]
- Brazil’s Rugby Cast had Baby Futuro and Maurício Coelho talking about the Olympics, BR XVs and more [link]
- Tyson Beukeboom and Elisa Riffonneau share their journey to the Ealing Trailfinders [link]
- Bryony Cleall on her contract renewal and new coaching role at Quins [link]
- Rugby World explain the new tackle height laws that are active in much of Europe [link]