Welcome to the Women’s Rugby Rundown for Nov 13-19. The Welsh Rugby Union (WRU) has shared an independent review that uncovered instances of sexism, misogyny, racism, and homophobia within its culture. The WRU’s new leadership, including Chair Richard Collier-Keywood, incoming Group CEO Abi Tierney, and interim CEO Nigel Walker, has acknowledged the findings and expressed their commitment to addressing these cultural issues.
In more news, Japan solidified their spot in Paris 2024 by emerging victorious in the Asia Olympic Qualifier, with China and Hong Kong securing spots in the Final Qualification Tournament. This completes the roster of auto-qualified teams, and one additional team will join them after the Final Qualification Tournament in June 2024.
Additionally, we explore the start of the Allianz PWR, Round 6 of the Welsh Premiership, Round 8 of the Energia AIL, Round 12 of Scotland’s Premiership, and USA Club, where three champions were crowned in the Midwest and Empire.
We close out the week with 13 features and 6 media.
We need you! Become a supporter of our site at https://www.patreon.com/yscrugby.
tl;dr: In the Women’s Rugby Rundown for Nov 13-19, an independent review exposed instances of sexism, misogyny, racism, and homophobia within the Welsh Rugby Union culture. Japan secured a spot in Paris 2024, winning the Asia Olympic Qualifier, and China and Hong Kong earned spots in the Final Qualification Tournament. Allianz PWR kicked off, along with rounds in the Welsh Premiership, Energia AIL, Scotland’s Premiership, and USA Club, where champions were crowned in the Midwest and Empire.
Women’s Rugby Rundown Video Update
In the Women’s Rugby Rundown for Nov 13-19, an independent review exposed instances of sexism, misogyny, racism, and homophobia within the Welsh Rugby Union culture. Japan secured a spot in Paris 2024, winning the Asia Olympic Qualifier, and China and Hong Kong earned spots in the Final Qualification Tournament. Allianz PWR kicked off, along with rounds in the Welsh Premiership, Energia AIL, Scotland's Premiership, and USA Club, where champions were crowned in the Midwest and Empire. Watch our video & read all the news using the link in our bio! #wrugby #rugbyrundown #rugby #rugbyunion #womensrugby♬ original sound - YSCRugby
Can’t watch on TikTok? Watch on Youtube or any of our other social media channels.
Women’s Rugby Rundown News
- New Welsh Rugby Union chair Richard Collier-Keywood, incoming Group CEO Abi Tierney (who joins in January 2024) and interim CEO Nigel Walker have welcomed in full the publication today of the Independent Review which was commissioned in February 2023
- An independent review has found aspects of the Welsh Rugby Union (WRU) culture were sexist, misogynistic, racist and homophobic and not properly challenged [link]
- WRU incoming Chief Executive Abi Tierney admits loss of trust after ‘horrific’ report [link]
- WRU Amanda Blanc stark resignation letter warned ‘you are sitting on a ticking time bomb’ [link]
- WRU Chairman shocked by Amanda Blanc resignation letter [link]
- Read our take on the independent review [link]
- Brazil and Portugal will play on November 21st and 25th [link]
- Women’s Celtic Challenge returns for the second year with an expanded format [link]
Premier & Club
- Bristol Bears kick-started their Allianz PWR campaign with a dominant 48-5 win over Sale Sharks, while Saracens delivered a comprehensive 48-7 victory against Loughborough Lightning, Harlequins secured a 17-22 win over Trailfinders, and Exeter Chiefs emerged victorious with a 27-44 triumph over Leicester Tigers in the league’s opening round [link]
- In Round 5 of the Energia AIL, UL Bohemians secured a tight 10-7 victory over Railway Union, while Galwegians claimed their first win of the season with a 12-5 triumph against Wicklow, and Blackrock College dominated Cooke with a comprehensive 65-0 victory [link]
- Round 6 of the Welsh Premiership, saw Seven Sisters secure a 29-7 victory over Caereinion OBRA, Pontyclun dominated with a 47-0 win against Caernarfon [link]
- In the first round of play in France’s Elite 1, Stade Bordelais defeated AC Bobigny 93 52-19, ASM Romagnat dominated Stade Français Paris with a score of 69-5, and Montpellier Herault Rugby secured a 32-7 victory over Stade Villeneuvois [link]
- In Round 12 of Scotland’s Premiership, Stirling County RFC dominated with a 76-0 victory over Cartha Queens Park, Hillhead Jordanhill secured a 63-19 win against Garioch, Heriot’s Blues emerged victorious with a 24-17 score against Corstorphine, while Watsonian claimed a 28-0 win over Stewartry [link]
- In USA’s club rugby, Midwest held their Championships and declared their champions in D1 and D2 [link]
- The Italian Rugby Federation announces the establishment of two women’s franchises, Benetton and Zebre Parma, in collaboration with the Spanish Federation, aiming to enhance the development of high-performance women’s rugby, provide greater exposure to Italian athletes through international engagements, and accelerate the growth of young players, with matches scheduled in 2024 against Spanish counterparts as part of this joint project [link]
- Japan secured their place in Paris 2024 by winning the Asia Olympic Qualifier, while China and Hong Kong earned spots in the Final Qualification Tournament [link]
Women’s Rugby Rundown Features
- Scottish Rugby admits it ‘let down’ family of Siobhan Cattigan [link]
- Ex-rugby stars among 294 applying for class action over brain injuries [link]
- Fiona Thomas gave us a PWR preview complete with “terrible predictions”, ones to watch, and statement signings [link]
- Canada’s Sophie De Goede relishing second act at Saracens in the PWR [link]
- Referee Holly Myers shares about donating breast milk and her return to rugby [link]
- England’s U20 Women’s head coach LJ Lewis shares the importance of unearthing the next generation of stars, impact of a home 2025 Rugby World Cup, and why University plays such an important role in the future of the Red Roses [link]
- How Giselle Mather and Vicky Macqueen built Rome (aka PWR teams) in eleven months [link]
- Meet Barbara Bond, the rugby legend whose journey from Flemington, NJ, to the 1991 World Cup is extraordinary [link]
- England’s Abbie Ward opens up about returning to rugby four months after giving birth [link]
- Tiger’s Amanda Swartz shares her journey from figure skating to rugby and following in her mother’s footsteps [link]
- Learn more about the PWR photo series powered by women that is changing the game [link]
- 10 years after making her debut for the Springboks, Shona-Leah Weston is back and her dream is still alive [link]
- John Mitchell’s first priority must be to get up to speed with the women’s game [link]
Women’s Rugby Rundown Media
- Wales’ Eli Snowsill talks about her journey to professionalization and the impact of Nigel Walker [link]
- On the Player’s Voice Pod GB’s Emma Uren talked about how much the 7s game means to her and her teammates [link]
- Tiger’s Ofure Ugiagbe opens up about injury-enforced absences and how she finds a way to overcome any barrier so she play, coach, and support the sport she adores [link]
- WRP 163 covers the PWR, with Marlie Packer, Belinda Moore and more… [link]
- Rachel Burford went to the Women in Rugby Leadership Summit [link]
- Nigel Walker has issued an apology to “all those people who felt let down by the WRU” [link]