The Pittsburgh Forge Rugby Club (PFRC) consists of four (4) competitive sides; Men’s Division II, III, IV and Women’s Division II all competing in the Midwest Competition Region (MCR). The women’s side consists of forty-nine (49) registered players with thirty-five (35) regularly attending training and games. The Forge women went undefeated in their inaugural regular season (2018) and made it to Midwest Playoffs in each of their first two seasons. They are also actively developing a second side while searching for a Head Coach for immediate hire.
The Head Coach is expected to make a commitment of time, energy, and effort to the development of our women’s side. All of the club’s sides compete in a fall XV’s season. Due to MCR seasonality, the spring season is a mixture of friendly matches, tours, tournaments, ‘Select Side’ competition and qualifying matches (if the USAR playoffs are achieved).
The Forge trains twice per week in the evenings and plays approximately six (6) league matches per season (per side). Away fixtures could be as far as five (5) hours in some cases. Friendly matches, tournaments, and playoff competition have taken us to places like Tennessee, the Carolinas, Florida and Iowa. The team would require the coach to also attend team meetings, serve on some committees, and be available to conduct individual feedback sessions at the coach’s discretion. The Head Coach would also have the ability to build a coaching staff for assistance.
The Head Coach would be expected to lead the team in providing development to all of the players, regardless of level and skill.
- Must USA Rugby Level 200 Coaching Certification (Level 300 is preferred);
- Ability to create game strategies and develop players of all skill levels;
- Ability to coach both forwards and backs;
- Regularly attendance at games and training sessions;
- Possess strong leadership and communication skills;
- Possess a motivation to continue rugby education and to build one’s knowledge set;
- Research opponents for appropriate game prep;
- Be accessible for players to request feedback regarding game play, fitness, rugby IQ, etc.
What we have to offer to you:
- A seasonal stipend commensurate with experience;
- An atmosphere of competitive players willing to constantly learn;
- A large alumni network for professional connections (see “Note” below);
- A professionally ran club with an active Board of Directors.
If interested, please provide the following to PGHForgeRugby@gmail.com:
- Professional Resume;
- Rugby Resume;
- At least one (1) rugby reference;
- An explanation of coaching style, strategy, and any additional information you deem necessary to share.
We will be accepting coaching applications throughout the winter months in hopes or hiring a permanent coach for the Spring 2020 season. Interviews will be offered on a rolling basis once appropriate documents are received. We thank you in advance for your interest in coaching our club and look forward to learning about what you can bring to our organization.
PFRC Coaching Committee
Note: We understand that coaching is a serious commitment and other factors affect your ability to coach. We are ready to supply access to our rugby network within the city if necessary for job placement. Please inform us of what assistance, if anything, you would be looking for from the club.