Welcome to the top women’s rugby news in under 60 seconds for Jul 25-31! The RFU has voted to ban transgender women from playing rugby. Exclusionary policies like this only harm women’s sport and worse take the focus away from real problems in rugby. We have rampant problems with concussions and early onset dementia that is largely being ignored.
In International XVs news, South Africa got the best of Japan in their second match, winning 20-10 while The Irish Times indicates that Ireland will be announcing “40+ contracts before their Test tour to Japan later this month”.
In Domestic XVs news, Bay of Plenty gritted out a key win with a victory over Auckland and Wasps have named LJ Lewis as their new head coach.
In 7s news, the Wallaroos defeated Fiji in the Commonwealth Games Final while the Black Ferns beat Canada for the bronze and the Headliners conquered the Premier Rugby Sevens Championships.
We close out the week with 7 features and 8 media.
We need you! Become a supporter of our site at https://www.patreon.com/yscrugby.
tl;dr: Women’s Rugby in 60 secs for Jul 25-31 saw the RFU ban transgender women from playing rugby and the Wallaroos won the Commonwealth Games.
60 Second Video Update
Your #wrugby News in under 60 seconds for Jul 25-31 saw the RFU ban transgender women from playing rugby and the Wallaroos won the Commonwealth Games. Watch our video & read the entire update using the link in our bio! #womensrugby #wrugby #rugbyunion♬ original sound - YSCRugby
Featured Women’s Rugby Stories
England succumbed to a pressure and fear campaign from a small group and did indeed change their gender policy to ban transgender athletes. All this to ban 7 athletes who had never injured another player. What a disgrace.
Top Women’s Rugby Stories
- Japan hosted South Africa for a rematch and the visitors took home the win this time, 20-10
- The Irish Times indicates that over “40 contracts are expected to be announced before Test tour to Japan next month”
- IT also hints that an “appointment of a new role, the head of women’s performance and pathways, is also imminent”
- The third round of the Farah Palmer Cup saw Bay of Plenty double their win tally from last season with a gritty victory over Auckland
- Premier 15s side Wasps have named LJ Lewis as their head coach to replace Giselle Mather
- The Wallaroos defeated Fiji in the Commonwealth Games final while the Black Ferns beat Canada for the bronze medal
- The Headliners conquered the Premier Rugby Sevens Championships defeating the Loonies
Women’s Rugby Features
- Siobhan Cattigan’s family launch brain injury case against Scottish Rugby & World Rugby
- Liliana Podpadec: Future Wales star earns pro contract before cap
- GiftTime Media will be partnering with Howard Rugby Football Club to host the 2023 HBCU Rugby Classic and Music Festival in Washington DC
- Scrum Queens looks at the contribution women have made to the growth of sevens, on the eve of Commonwealth Games in England
- Ireland’s Murphy Crowe appointed to the Rugby Players Ireland’s Executive Board
- Ali Donnelly’s role in sport has been solidified after publishing a book on the history of women’s rugby
- Jessica Hayden speaks to three transgender women who will be banned from playing for their teams under a new policy from the RFU
Women’s Rugby Media
- South Africa’s Head Coach Stanley Raubenheimer tells what their victory over Japan means
- The Scottish Rugby podcast discusses the RFUs proposal to ban transgender women with Sam Abdulla and Elis Martin
- Ealing Trailfinders hosts the first interview with new Director of Women’s Rugby Giselle Mather
- Fearless Women interviews Ali Donnelly after the publication of her first book
- Emily Hamilton and Sasha Acheson join Ruck ‘n’ Roll to talk about the RFU proposed change in gender policy
- Wales’ Hannah Jones gives insight into her life to TikTok Women’s Six Nations
- World Rugby has Tendai Mtawarira, Pieter-Steph du Toit and Babalwa Latsha on to talk about changing the way people saw Black rugby players
- Austin’s KVUE covered the Premier Rugby Sevens Championship in Q2 Stadium
The family of Scotland international Siobhan Cattigan, who died last year, have launched legal action against governing bodies Scottish Rugby and World Rugby.— BBC Sport Scotland (@BBCSportScot) July 31, 2022
NEW: We look at the contribution women have made to the growth of 7s as the Commonwealth Games prepares to KO, taking in the 2009 7s World Cup and women's crucial role in the Olympic bid after decades of being left out of the sport.— Scrumqueens - Women’s Rugby (@ScrumQueens) July 28, 2022
After @_JessHayden published this amazing, humanizing article detailing trans players and their teammates, her account is again locked down. In past days she had received rape threats for her coverage. So please read and repost to honor her allyship.https://t.co/1gS1vsEEa2— NiaStanAccount (@nia_stan) July 27, 2022
On this week’s podcast we discuss the RFUs proposal to ban transgender women from women’s rugby with Sam Abdulla from @ThebansRugby & Elis Martin.— Scottish Rugby Podcast (@ScotRugbyPod) July 28, 2022
We chat about the current situation in Scotland and why the SRU should not follow the RFUs actions. https://t.co/my79ck8N86
#HeroesOfTheGame: Hannah Jones ✨— TikTok Women's Six Nations (@Womens6Nations) July 28, 2022
From on-field proposals to off-field preparation, @HannahJones_12 gives us an insight into her life. @WelshRugbyUnion | @Glos_PuryWRFC | #TikTokW6N pic.twitter.com/za83fYv9hx
The Trans Ban Special:— Ruck ’n’ Roll (@RnRRugby) July 27, 2022
We are joined by @emilymcminn_ms from @QuinsPride and ex-England and Bristol prop @sashbambam to discuss the proposed trans ban, lived experiences, the Twitter Death Star and giving them hellhttps://t.co/jJKZTvrBRC
Hear our founder @AliDonnelly talk to @sueanstiss about her book on the history of women's rugby; the future of @Premier15s & much more on the pod below https://t.co/UD5PNH3oh9 pic.twitter.com/CbxquLEzoj— Scrumqueens - Women’s Rugby (@ScrumQueens) July 27, 2022