Welcome to the top women’s rugby news in under 60 seconds for June 5-11. England announced more player contracts with longer deals and enhanced terms as they continue to lead from the front while Italy announced they will host Spain on July 22 to see who is placed in WXV 2 or 3.
In Premier and Club news, Stade Bordelais beat Blagnac 27-23 to win the France Elite 1 Title, Exeter and Gloucester-Hartpury will face off in the Allianz Premier Championship, Bulls Daisies continue to lead South Africa’s Premier Division but Border Ladies are only two points behind, and we saw wins for Berkeley and Beantown in Round 7 of WPL.
In 7s news, France won the first stop of the Europe 7s Championship as they beat Great Britain 19-7 while Ireland beat Poland 20-7 for third. This tournament helps seed the European Games which also serve as an Olympic Qualifier. Lastly, PR 7s announced 16 new signings as well as the full roster for the Northern Loonies.
We close out the week with 13 features and 8 media.
We need you! Become a supporter of our site at https://www.patreon.com/yscrugby.
tl;dr: Women’s Rugby in 60 secs for June 5-11 saw England announce new player contracts and Italy will host Spain on July 22 to see who is placed in WXV 2 or 3.
60 Second Video Update
Your #wrugby News in under 60 seconds for June 5-11 saw England announce new player contracts and Italy will host Spain on July 22 to see who is placed in WXV 2 or 3. Watch our video & read the entire update using the link in our bio! #womensrugby #wrugby #rugbyunion♬ original sound - YSCRugby
Can’t watch on TikTok? Watch on Youtube or any of our other social media channels.
Top Women’s Rugby Stories
- Colombia upset the hosts Brazil 18-15 in the Americas Rugby Trophy [link]
- This result means the USA U23s clinch the first ever title of the Americans Rugby Trophy after they beat Colombia 27-24 [link]
- England announced more contracts, longer deals and enhanced terms [link]
- Italy announced they will play Spain on July 22 in Piacenza to see who will be placed in WXV 2 or 3 [link]
- Samoa is now the highest ranked Pacific Island Nations Team at 16th Place [link]
- The Black Ferns named their traveling squad ahead of the PAC4 Series and it includes nine rookies [link]
Premier & Club
- Stade Bordelais beat Blagnac 27-23 to win the France Elite 1 Title [link]
- Exeter reach Allianz Premier Championship after last gasp try stuns Saracens [link]
- Gloucester-Hartpury are also through to the Allianz Premier Championship after defeating Bristol 21-12 [link]
- Bulls Daisies continue to lead South Africa’s Premier Division but Border Ladies are only two points behind [link]
- Wins for Berkeley and Beantown in Round 7 of WPL [link]
- Scotland’s Premiership has expanded to eight teams with newcomers Stewartry RFC and will begin August 19 [link]
- France won the first stop in the Europe 7s Championship in Algarve
- They beat Great Britain 19-7 while Ireland beat Poland 20-7
- More signings for PR 7s including Erika Farias, Monique Coffey, Alena Olsen, Morgan Freeman, Stacey Waaka, Camile White, Megan Sanders, Abby Gustaitis, Antea Dedic, Tyshna Iknasio, Sofie Fella, Naya Tapper, Grace Kukutai, Alena Saili, Angie Olykunmi, and Alev Kelter.
- Also more team announcements for PR 7s as we learn who will be on the Norther Loonies [link]
- Learn more about the Steeltoes from Union Progress [link]
Women’s Rugby Features
- Rumors about NZR+, a new digital platform for New Zealand Rugby are circling [link]
- Kelsey Jones is living the dream with Gloucester-Hartpury [link]
- The RFU is investigating a tunnel disturbance in the Premier semi-final between Saracens and Exeter
- A WRU board member has been described as being on another planet after downplaying reports into sexism at the organisation [link]
- Libbie Janse van Rensburg on playing in front of thousands in Madagascar and why hosting WXV 2 is a huge opportunity for South Africa to get behind their women [link]
- Cassie Saitaga’s kick during the Oceania Championship match to go down in Samoian rugby history [link]
- Bethan Lewis says previous seasons of missing out on the top four has fueled Gloucester-Hartpury [link]
- Jaz Joyce is targeting a third Olympics [link]
- Is Ilona Maher rugby’s most exciting player? [link]
- Alice Soper profiles Cassie Siatagia’s boot as Samoa clinched a spot in WXV 2 [link]
- Liz Crake, Oli Bishop, and Helen Harding spoke to Rugby Pass about what Wasps means to them [link]
- In an open letter to Rugby Australia, Nick Wasiliev put the professionalization of the Wallaroos as priority number one [link]
- Who is Gladiators star, Jodie Ounsley? [link]
Women’s Rugby Media
- Sharifa Kasolo shares her journey into the sport on the latest episode of All In [link]
- The Good, The Scaz, And The Rugby interviews Jodie Ounsley about how she will still be out on the pitch [link]
- How well do engaged couple Jaz Joyce and Alisha Butchers really know each other? [link]
- Deborah Wills shares her story about finding rugby and why she loves being a super mum [link]
- Heartfelt honesty from Hope Rogers and Charlie Jacoby on Level’s Up Close [link]
- Alisha Butchers speaks to BBC Sports Wales about her injury return and working with head coach Dave Ward [link]
- Women’s Rugby Pod episode 152 [link]
- Level talks with Saracens’ Director of Rugby Alex Austerberry about how the women’s game has evolved in terms of attacking styles [link]