Welcome to the Women’s Rugby Rundown for August 21-27. Australia has issued a statement indicating they are ‘to undertake a strategic reset’, but the lack of clarity behind this change stands juxtaposed with a recent collective social media demonstration by the Wallaroos, underscoring alleged disparities compared to the men’s team.
In more XVs news, World Rugby has revealed the eight venues set to host matches during the 2025 Rugby World Cup, and we all need to be prepared to travel all over the country from Twickenham to York. Additionally, the Bulls Daisies secured the 2023 South Africa Premier Division title as an undefeated force, Leinster ended Munster’s unbeaten run and will face-off against Cork for the Ireland’s Vodafone Interprovincial Championship next weekend, Watsonian took the lead in Scotland’s Premiership after Round 2 amidst a closely contested table, and Canterbury maintains its lead in the Farah Palmer Cup following Round 7. Lastly, Round 11 of the WPL saw victories for Beantown, Gray Wolves, and Berkeley.
We close out the week with 12 features and 4 media.
We need you! Become a supporter of our site at https://www.patreon.com/yscrugby.
tl;dr: In the Women’s Rugby Rundown for Aug 21-27, Australia’s announcement of a strategic reset contrasts with a recent Wallaroos’ social media protest against disparities compared to the men’s team, World Rugby unveiled eight venues for the 2025 Rugby World Cup, the Bulls Daisies’ unbeaten title win in South Africa, Leinster will face Cork in the Interprovincial Championships, Watsonian’s Premiership lead, Canterbury’s Farah Palmer Cup dominance, and Round 11 of the WPL.
Women’s Rugby Rundown Video Update
In the Women’s Rugby Rundown for Aug 21-27, Australia's announcement of a strategic reset contrasts with a recent Wallaroos' social media protest against disparities compared to the men's team, World Rugby unveiled eight venues for the 2025 Rugby World Cup, the Bulls Daisies' unbeaten title win in South Africa, Leinster will face Cork in the Interprovincial Championships, Watsonian's Premiership lead, Canterbury's Farah Palmer Cup dominance, and Round 11 of the WPL. Watch our video & read the entire update using the link in our bio! #wrugby #rugbyrundown #rugby #rugbyunion #womensrugby♬ original sound - YSCRugby
Can’t watch on TikTok? Watch on Youtube or any of our other social media channels.
Women’s Rugby Rundown News
- Australia has issued a statement indicating they are ‘to undertake a strategic reset’ but there is no acknowledgment of what is driving this change… [link]
- World Rugby has announced the eight venues that will see action for the 2025 Rugby World Cup [link]
- Amid the unveiling of host cities and venues, Sarah Massey, Managing Director of the Rugby World Cup 2025 Local Operating Company, expressed her enthusiasm for the tournament’s ambition as the two-year countdown commenced [link]
Premier & Club
- Unbeaten Bulls Daisies storm to 2023 South Africa Premier Division title [link]
- Leinster’s victory halts Munster’s unbeaten streak, setting up a tied title match in Cork, with a rematch planned at Musgrave Park for the Vodafone Women’s Interprovincial Championship final [link]
- Watsonian leads Scotland’s Premiership after Round 2 but the table remains tight [link]
- Canterbury leads the Farah Palmer Cup after Round 7 [link]
- Round 11 of the WPL saw wins for Beantown, Gray Wolves and Berkeley [link]
- Japan sweeps first leg of the Asia Seven Series [link]
Women’s Rugby Rundown Features
- The Wrap: Why Rugby Australia’s women problem isn’t going away any time soon [link]
- Maggie Alphonsi’s ew book is about her fight, not just on the pitch but to ditch the labels people used to describe her [link]
- “I have missed playing so much, I can’t wait to represent Scotland again,” says Emma Wassell [link]
- Rugby convert Grace Kemp calls out ‘big gap’ Wallaroos are fighting to fill [link]
- WPL Trio Talk Fall Reboot with The Rugby Breakdown [link]
- Fiona Thomas looks at the the 2025 Rugby World Cup venues that will cover the length of England [link]
- Wallaroos Take a Stand: Highlighting Gender Inequality in Australia Rugby [link]
- Mona Tupou and the Summer of ‘Yes’ from The Rugby Breakdown [link]
- Jess Breach shares her excitement about her local city being a venue for the 2025 Rugby World Cup [link]
- The Rugby Breakdown spoke to Chicago Lion’s Captain about their 7s victory at Nationals [link]
- Scrum Queens reflects on the venue announcement for the 2025 Rugby World Cup [link]
- Rugby was gaining huge popularity among women in Kabul before the Taliban swept to power in 2021 [link]
Women’s Rugby Rundown Media
- On this week’s Telegraph Women’s Sport Podcast, guests Ali Donnelly and Stef Evans discuss the changes they would like to see in women’s sport [link]
- Elinor Snowsill speaks about her next step after announcing her retirement from professional rugby [link]
- Get insights on the 2025 Rugby World Cup match locations straight from the players [link]
- The Jimmy Smith Show covers Australia’s financial positions, the Wallaroos speaking out and the upcoming 2023 Rugby World Cup [link]