Welcome to the Women’s Rugby Rundown for Oct 9-15. Italy made an impressive debut in the WXV, defeating Japan 28-15, while Fiji kicked off their campaign with a dominant 67-13 victory over Colombia. Scotland secured a strong start to WXV 2, winning 31-17 against South Africa. Ireland sent a powerful message with a resounding 109-0 victory over Kazakhstan in their first WXF match. Spain left no room for doubt, sweeping Kenya 32-0 in their opening WXV match. Meanwhile, the USA triumphed over Samoa in a closely contested match, winning 36-26 in the WXV. In 7s news, South Africa emerged as champions of Africa 7s and secured their spot in the Olympics, while Kenya and Uganda qualified for the Final Qualification Tournament.
In Premier & Club news, the Colorado Gray Wolves secured a hard-fought 29-24 victory over defending champions Berkeley in the WPL Championship. Additionally, we released the first USA Club Rugby Guide and Standings for the 2023-24 season. In the Allianz Cup, Bristol and Gloucester-Hartpury maintained their leading positions, while in Scotland’s Premiership, Watsonian remained at the top but faced stiff competition from Stirling County, Corstorphine, and Hillhead Jordanhill. Over in the RFER Cup, CRAT led with 10 points, closely followed by Eibar with 9 points. Finally, UL Bohemian led the way in Ireland’s Energia AIL with 20 points, with Railway Union, Blackrock, and Ballingcolig in hot pursuit.
We closed out the week with 6 features, 6 media and 1 rugby job.
We need you! Become a supporter of our site at https://www.patreon.com/yscrugby.
In the Women’s Rugby Rundown for Oct 9-15, Italy, Fiji, and Scotland impressed in the WXV, while Spain and the USA secured victories. South Africa won Africa 7s, and Kenya and Uganda advanced to the Final Qualification Tournament for the Olympics. In Premier & Club news, the Colorado Gray Wolves won in the WPL Championship, and various teams maintained their positions in different leagues.
Women’s Rugby Rundown Video Update
Can’t watch on TikTok? Watch on Youtube or any of our other social media channels.
Women’s Rugby Rundown News
- Italy won their first WXV match by defeating Japan 28-15 [link]
- Fiji’s WXV campaign started with a bang as they secured a 67-13 victory over Colombia [link]
- Scotland got their WXV 2 campaign underway with a 31-17 win against South Africa [link]
- Ireland had a statement win over Kazakhstan in their first WXF match scoring 109 points to zero [link]
- Spain swept Kenya in their opening WXV match 32-0 [link]
- USA defeated Samoa in a tight affair 36-26 in the WXV [link]
Premier & Club
- The Colorado Gray Wolves held their ground at home, securing a 29-24 victory over the defending champions Berkeley in the WPL Championship [link]
- We released our first USA Club Rugby Guide and Standings for the 2023-24 [link]
- Bristol and Gloucester-Hartpury continue to lead in the Allianz Cup [link]
- Watsonian continues to lead Scotland’s Premiership but are chased by Stirling County, Corstorphine, and Hillhead Jordanhill [link]
- CRAT leads the table in the RFER Cup with 10 points while Eibar has 9 points [link]
- UL Bohemian leads the way in Ireland’s Energia AIL with 20 points but is followed by Railway Union, Blackrock, and Ballingcolig [link]
- South Africa won Africa 7s and qualified for the Olympics while Kenya and Uganda qualified for the Final Qualification Tournament [link]
- Japan emerged victorious in the Thailand Sevens, securing their victory in the Asian Sevens Series as well [link]
- USA announced their roster for the PanAm Games on November 3-4 where they will face Canada, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Jamaica, Mexico, and Paraguay [link]
Women’s Rugby Rundown Features
- The Springbok Women are under no illusions about Italy and their abilities when they face the European side in their second WXV 2 clash this weekend [link]
- Springboks reach Olympics at last [link]
- Emily Scarratt: England World Cup winner reveals neck surgery to save rugby career [link]
- After hitting 100 points for Scotland, Rhona Lloyd discusses what it means to her to wear the Thistle [link]
- Hooker Lana Skeldon on being part of a strong group of eight Scotland front-rowers in WXV 2 [link]
- Karina Sazontova, a proud rugby player from Kazakhstan, leads her team’s resurgence with government support, challenging gender stereotypes, and eagerly anticipating the WXV competition against Ireland, Fiji, and Kenya [link]
Women’s Rugby Rundown Media
- USA’s 7s Eagles Kristi Kirshe and Lauren Doyle started a podcast to share an inside look at all four national teams, listen to Episode 1 [link]
- Team GB 7s star and former Wasp flyer Celia Quansah talks about getting into rugby, the differences between athletics and rugby and how she’s been welcomed by the Tigers family [link]
- Sam Quek, Ali Donnelly, Alice Dearing, and Stef Evans discussed the importance of athletes using their voice [link]
- Sisilia Tuipulotu connects with her roots and dedicates her jersey to her late Grandpa [link]
- How the Allianz Inner Warrior programme helped Saracen’s Sharifa Kasolo start her journey towards a Red Roses call-up [link]
- Wales captain Hannah Jones is embracing the challenge of facing Canada, New Zealand and Australia in the inaugural WXV [link]
- Kenya is looking to fill the position of Match Officials Administrator, reporting to the Director of Rugby [link]